Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 21st January 2010, 01:18 AM
ask4nutz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
launching Xilinx Webpack ISE

hi all,

since ive started using fedora about a month ago i am still finding it difficult to launch newly installed programs. in most cases i just travel to the installation directory and look for a tell-tale file name to try an launch and if it works write up a script for it.

however, there are a few hundred folders and a few thousand files in this Xilinx installation and a fairly thorough search came up empty. does anyone know how to launch it, and better yet, is there a better way for future installations rather than trial by fire?
Old 21st January 2010, 05:30 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfedorafirefox
Here is one suggestion. It's what I do when installing from source code. Assuming the last step of the install procedure is: make install
Code:
make install | tee installed-programname
All of the ouput to screen during the make install run is piped to tee, which both displays the output to screen (same as it would normally without the added "| tee filename" bit) and writes the output to the file that you gave as a name in the command.

When the install is complete, then you can:
Code:
 cat installed-programname | grep install
If the output of that is too much and you only are looking for the executables, then you could use
Code:
 cat installed-programname | grep "bin/"

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM CST ----------

Another method is to, after installing:
Code:
su
updatedb
exit
locate programname | grep "bin/"

Last edited by PabloTwo; 21st January 2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:55 PM
gatlin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: launching Xilinx Webpack ISE

My Xilinx installation of version 12.3 is located inside of /opt/Xilinx/12.3/. The location of the settings to start Xilinx is either in lin or lin64. The file is either a csh or sh. There also are two version of each of the csh and sh versions of the initialization files, one for each architecture. The file to initialize the editor and tools for Verilog and V.H.D.L. editing is "ise".

I specifically use /opt/Xilinx/12.3/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/ise as the location of the executable in my installation.
To run the program I created the file /usr/local/bin/xilinx. This is a copy of the /opt/Xilinx/12.3/ISE_DS/settings64.sh file with two additional lines.
"export DISPLAY:=0"
"exec /opt/Xilinx/12.3/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/ise"

If you want to create a menu entry, the file location of the Icon is /opt/Xilinx/12.3/ISE_DS/ISE/data/images/pn-ise.png.
You can create a menu item using the program Main Menu (sudo yum install alacarte), or you can create the text file yourself and place it in /usr/share/applications/ named as something like xilinx.desktop, or whatever you want with the .desktop extension.
Old 16th December 2010, 05:07 PM
jp102235 Offline

macoschrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatlin View Post
My Xilinx installation of version 12.3 is located inside of /opt/Xilinx/12.3/. .
Gatlin or anyone else:
wondering if you could help me as well, I am trying to get Xilinx 12.3 installed on Fedora 14 (in a vm under mac os x).

I saw that some had success with fedora 12, but I get crashes when I attempt to urn the fedora 12 live-cd under virtual box.

When I mount the Xilinx installation files, when I run ./xsetup, I just get a prompt. I turned off SELinux, and checked to see if I had the right libraries (lesstif instead of motif), but I still get nothing (the script does eventually call ./bin/lin64/xsetup, but that dies)

strace on xsetup shows a number of libraries missing, but its hard to tell if its the libraries missing or a path to the libraries that are missing.

any help would be appreciated - I sure don't wanna run windows in a vm, but I may have to.

john
Old 16th December 2010, 08:02 PM
gatlin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

My first question is if you have installed Fedora 14 from the iso or not?
If having problems installing Xilinx:
Disable SELinux
Install OpenMotif from the package manager (I would recommend the development files too and maybe debug)
Install e2fsprogs (development files too maybe) & port reserve (they should both already be installed)
Reference http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/20944.htm
I am using real hardware, but I am not sure if being incapable of installing is a problem which can be attributed to Linux on Virtual Box.

You might try looking thru the readme files and such to check for library dependencies.

Tags
ise, launching, webpack, xilinx