Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th January 2010, 07:06 PM
StefanJ Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
How do releases map to kernels?

My MythTV system is running under F12. It is in "appliance mode;" all configured and happily doing the PVR thing without a pressing need for upgrades.

However, there is a feature in the upcoming 2.6.32 kernel that I'd like to take advantage of; internal support for a certain capture card.

I see 2.6.32 mentioned as part of the F13 release. My question is, will it also be available for F12 . . . maybe sooner than the F13 release?

Another way to put this is: How wedded are Fx releases and kernel releases? Is a major kernel goalpost like 2.6.32 the reason why Fx releases are made?

Any insights welcome.

Stefan
Old 14th January 2010, 08:51 PM
Firewing1 Offline

macossafari
There's no written rule really, but usually if a kernel proves stable enough it will be backported to the Fedora N-1 release. So for example I doubt that F11 will see 2.6.32, but it's very possible that Fedora 12 will even if it doesn't make it's way into the stable repo. You should be able to find some F12 2.6.32 updates soon on Koji or Bodhi (updates-testing).

Edit: Actually, there are some up now:
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/p...fo?packageID=8

Most recent one built yesterday morning

Tags
kernels, map, releases