Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th January 2010, 04:21 PM
Unfrog Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
GPU choice on ACER Aspire 8935G

Hello, I'm not sure if I'm posting it in the right place...

I've got a ACER Aspire 8935g with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 and a 'Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'. It seems that Fedora 12 is using the second one which is a basic low-power GPU only. I would like it to use the Radeon, but so far failed to do it.

I tried installing the drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English , but graphical login wouldn't show up (switched to virtual console 2 and uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and it works again)

Running system-config-display crashes:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 378, in <module>
dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, videocard.VideoCardInfo())
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 640, in __init__
if len(self.xconfig.layout[0].adjacencies) > 1:
IndexError: index out-of-bounds

but with the --reconfig paramter it shows up. When I change the 'Video Card' in 'Hardware' to 'Radeon' part and reboot, the graphic login doesn't show up again. (restoring the old settings via console and rebooting does make it work again).

Basicly it's not a very important problem, seeing as the system and GNOME work, but some advice would be nice
Old 13th January 2010, 05:07 PM
joe.pelayo Offline
An ape descendant

macosfirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfrog View Post
Hello, I'm not sure if I'm posting it in the right place...

I've got a ACER Aspire 8935g with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 and a 'Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller'. It seems that Fedora 12 is using the second one which is a basic low-power GPU only. I would like it to use the Radeon, but so far failed to do it.

I tried installing the drivers from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...5&lang=English , but graphical login wouldn't show up (switched to virtual console 2 and uninstalled the drivers, rebooted and it works again)

Running system-config-display crashes:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xconf.py", line 378, in <module>
dialog = xConfigDialog.XConfigDialog(hardware_state, xconfig, videocard.VideoCardInfo())
File "/usr/share/system-config-display/xConfigDialog.py", line 640, in __init__
if len(self.xconfig.layout[0].adjacencies) > 1:
IndexError: index out-of-bounds

but with the --reconfig paramter it shows up. When I change the 'Video Card' in 'Hardware' to 'Radeon' part and reboot, the graphic login doesn't show up again. (restoring the old settings via console and rebooting does make it work again).

Basicly it's not a very important problem, seeing as the system and GNOME work, but some advice would be nice
Hello,

Enter the BIOS and see if there is an option to change the video card. If you succeed there you might need to reinstall Fedora (or reconfigure de X server).

Good luck,
Joe.

Netbook: Acer Aspire One A150
Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz, 1.5 GB DDR2 PC2-4200, Intel Graphics (8MB?), 160GB Seagate HDD
Fedora 15 i686
Old 13th January 2010, 06:17 PM
Unfrog Offline

linuxsafari
Quote:
Hello,

Enter the BIOS and see if there is an option to change the video card. If you succeed there you might need to reinstall Fedora (or reconfigure de X server).

Good luck,
Joe.
Thanks, but there is no such option in BIOS ;/
Old 15th January 2010, 02:57 PM
nty2013 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hello, I am facing the nearly same problem with my thinkpadR400, which have 2 GPU: one ATI3470, one INTEL4series. I am also considering how to swich between the two graphics:http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=238572. I had installed the ATI driver, but the graphical login doesn't seems works properly.I am wondering how you uninstalled the driver?please tell me!THX!

Tags
8935g, acer, aspire, choice, gpu