Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th January 2010, 06:58 PM
ashucse13 Offline

windows_vistasafari
Question installing fedora 12

I am installing fedora 12 on my laptop from a dvd in which vista is already installed.i have created 17 gb of unallocated space through shrinking volume in windowz.but after booting the fedora dvd it is not showing the unallocated spaces.i want to install fedora on that unallocated partition.what should i do?
Old 10th January 2010, 12:24 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashucse13

i have created 17 gb of unallocated space through shrinking volume in windowz.but after booting the fedora dvd it is not showing the unallocated spaces.i want to install fedora on that unallocated partition.
Hello ashucse13,

You said two different things in all of that. At first you said you shrank the Windows partition creating 17 GB of unallocated space (the usually recommended thing to do). But then you said Fedora will not install "on that unallocated partition". So is the 17 GB unpartitioned space or not?

If it is free unpartitioned space as you first implied, then the "Use free space" partitioning option will work. But if it is actually an empty partition as you later implied, then you need to choose the "Create custom layout" partitioning option. The very next page is the so-called disk druid (a kind of partition manager) with which you can either "Delete" and create a "New" partition(s) for Fedora, or you can "Edit" the partition to reformat it to a type that Fedora can use. Either way, but it matters what is actually waiting there now for Anaconda.

Tags
fedora, installing