Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th January 2010, 10:28 PM
alhwizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Question All DVDs display as "Blank DVD-ROM Disc" on the Desktop

On a new install of F12 (network install CD, but have tried others) when I insert a DVD (Movie, F12 Install DVD, Data DVD, etc) it is detected as 'Blank DVD-ROM Disc' (icon on the desktop) and the contents are not browsable. However, CD discs on same F12 installation seem to detect (and work) properly.

Where do I start in troubleshooting why the insertion of a DVD is not auto-mounted properly?

The hardware and disks are fine. Every time I install the current Ubuntu distro, there are no problems with the hardware or detecting the DVDs properly. I have tried the install of F12 with three different media (DVD, network CD and live CD). I have done 8 different installs with different options, but to no avail.

With an inserted CD I can find a mount point for the content in /media, but with a DVD I get no such automatic mount point. Also, applications do not see the disk (probably because of the lack of expected automatic mount points for an inserted DVD).

If I create the mount points manually, I can access the contents of the disk, but I am no longer able to eject the disk until I manually unmount the disk; the desktop reports that multiple mount points are present (but I don't know where it is, nor do my programs seem to know).

Thanks in advance for any help.

-- AdamH (newbie extrodinaire).
Old 13th January 2010, 04:43 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
There is a daemon called gnome-volume-manager. (I don't see the man page for it, but it is mentioned in the man page for gnome-mount). I suggest you look on the web for information about it and how it is configured. That's just my guess.

Tags
automount, dvd-rom