Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:18 AM
bonfire89 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
[abandoned] F12 - dvd installation - driver - can't install

---------------------------------------------------------[abandoned]--------------------------------------------------

I couldn't figure this out. I installed CentOS... Maybe another time Fedora

Hi all,

I am attempting to install Fedora 12 from the DVD install using a USB key for the purpose of setting up a headless server.

Unfortunately very early into the installation (only a couple screens in) I am told that my network card driver is not found stating:

"unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation type"

it gives me a list of network card drivers to choose from. The ones that seem to apply to me don't get me anywhere.

I have an on board Intel PRO/1000.

The Fedora 12 live image works fine though...

I'm pretty confused, I have really no idea where to go from here =/

Let me know if more information is needed... I'm pretty confused.

Thanks

Last edited by bonfire89; 4th January 2010 at 05:22 AM. Reason: not seeking an answer for this anymore
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:29 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Why not just install via the live CD then? The only negative is that the live CD means pulling more packages though your network than using the DVD but if you have a broadband connection it's fine.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:32 AM
bonfire89 Offline

linuxsafari
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't that mean gnome will be installed? And that I wont have the options to have things like ssh and apache set up automatically for me?
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:39 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfire89 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, doesn't that mean gnome will be installed? And that I wont have the options to have things like ssh and apache set up automatically for me?
It doesn't have to be gnome. There are live cds for other environments. Yes there are fewer options when installing and as Marko said you will need to install more packages later.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:47 AM
bonfire89 Offline

linuxsafari
ah, well, it's going to be headless. so. I don't want a desktop environment. After the install the graphics card is coming out.

I suppose it is true that I could remove all that afterwards and manually install a few things =/

Not quite ideal though. It would be pretty good to get this working.

about a year and a half ago I was running centOS on the same machine.

Tags
driver, dvd, f12, install, installation