Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 29th December 2009, 11:41 PM
Iron_Mike Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
You betcha, glad you got it working.

Mike
Old 30th December 2009, 01:07 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by solveitsimply View Post
According to this article 0 is kill switch disabled - radio on:

http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/

The reported values mean:

0 = RF kill not enabled (radio on)
1 = SW based RF kill active (radio off)
2 = HW based RF kill active (radio off)
3 = Both HW and SW RF kill active (radio off)
Well, I would believe your article over the one I found. Thanks for the update and correction. I was not in an area with WiFi, so I could not test the killswitch myself.

I'm glad you got it working.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:41 AM
wintermute000 Offline

windows_vistasafari
I also have a Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG in my IBM T43 but instead of your problem, mine is that it randomly disconnects after XYZ seconds and reconnects. I see the WPA supplicant disassociating and reassociating in /var/log/messages but can't find any other clues.

This is more of an annoyance w/ say web browsing but it kills any extended downloads.

Has anyone run into this issue?

I'm running stock F12 w/ networkmanager, haven't tried manually iwlist iwconfig etc. commands (frankly I don't remember them too well LOL since fedora and ubuntu have had seamless wireless via networkmanager for some time, but unfortunately for this card and F12 something has regressed?).

note: I have manually installed the ipw2200 firmware rpm via yum, and after doing so upon next boot I got some strange msg (gui) saying it needed to DL ipw2200 again to make some driver work?!?! Did that, made no difference as far as I can tell).

For :eek:
:confused: | google > :D
Next

Last edited by wintermute000; 19th January 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 21st January 2010, 08:08 PM
solveitsimply Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sorry, but I'm not sure where you would go from here to determine the problem. It might be worth posting a new thread to see if someone can help you to troubleshoot, failing that you could keep your fingers crossed that there is an update released that will address this for you.

The only other thing I can suggest is checking that it's not a setting issue with your wireless access point, are you having the same issue when you connect to other access points?

Good luck
Old 26th February 2010, 02:19 PM
Ann Ominous Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Some additional information that might be helpful.

I also have an Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG in my IBM T42 which worked fine for several weeks. Now, if WPA/WPA2 is enabled (TKIP or AES) the connection will cycle continuously, authenticating but then immediately disconnecting while trying to acquire an IP address.
The connection works reliably if security is disabled.

I have switched to another 2915ABG but experience the same behaviour.

My inclination is to suspect the firmware and/or driver software. Note that this is on Windows XP, but since the T43 configuration was so similar, I thought it might help.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:49 PM
wintermute000 Offline

windows_7safari
regression

At work we have a ton of decommissioned IBM T41, 42, 43s and Dell D600s. I have tried several years worth of Fedora Ubuntu and other variants on them for laughs. All the recent distros (F11, 12, Ubuntu 9 and onwards) have had the same behaviour re: intel and atheros cards from that generation of laptops.

I think something has regressed in the drivers. As it only affects 5-6 year old hardware I suppose its not really a priority for the devs / harder to pick out in testing.

For :eek:
:confused: | google > :D
Next

Tags
2915abg, 8100, acer, fedora, intel, pro or wireless, travelmate, working