Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd December 2009, 08:10 PM
olwe Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Newbie Compiz/Emerald Guide?

Is there a go-to Compiz/Emerald Guide for clueless newbies running Fed12 and Gnome 2.28? I've tried googling around and gotten many conflicting stories...
Old 24th December 2009, 01:36 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I installed compiz yesterday.

Reading thru this helps:
http://wiki.compiz.org/
Old 26th December 2009, 05:46 PM
laltopi Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The wiki points to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RenderingProject/compiz which has instructions for Fedora 10, 11, 6. Are the instructions for F10/11 applicable to F12 also?
Old 26th December 2009, 06:20 PM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Laltopi, yes.
I tried the 3rd box info for Gnome and KDE. All package was already installed.

Last edited by marcrblevins; 26th December 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 26th December 2009, 08:20 PM
olwe Offline

linuxsafari
I'm in Gnome 2.28, everything's good and installed, I call up System/Preferences/Desktop Effects and change Standard to Compiz. Everything goes black and when we all come to, we're back, but with no window frames. Okay, I then go to System/Preference/Emerald Theme Manager. I try to choose one of the choices ... nothing happens. Bare, unmovable windows. Any ideas what I've not done right?
Old 26th December 2009, 08:36 PM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Are you using Leigh's compiz?
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=173317

I'm using KDE, I have to run Compiz Fusion Icon in order to have my selected compiz working. Start your Compiz Fusion Icon.

I use:
Select Window Decorator=Emerald
Compiz Options=Loose Binding and Indirect Redering checked
Select Window Manager=Compiz

Last edited by marcrblevins; 26th December 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Added Leigh's compiz's HowTo
Old 27th December 2009, 04:03 AM
olwe Offline

linuxsafari
I followed the Leigh directions as well as possible. The compiz-check util says okays until it barfs on hardware/setup. More info says I'm running 2624x900 which is too much for compiz. Actually, I've got a 20" 1600x900 monitor running off a docked laptop. The laptop screen is supposedly disabled (lid is closed!) -- and Gnome is just on my 20" monitor, but over in KDE, it still thinks the laptop screen is in the game! I try to disable, but it won't stay dead. Anyway, compiz fusion icon has the same effect the Gnome System/Preferences/Desktop Effects has, namely, it scalps off the window frames and won't let me activate an Emerald theme. Running emerald --replace at command line doesn't seem to effect this problem.

I'm thinking I've got to get the graphics system to really let go of the laptop screen ... but how?

Tags
compiz or emerald, guide, newbie