Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:04 PM
Lokoci Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Abiword is unusable

Hi, I do a lot of work with wordprocessor, on windows I've always used Abiword and I always felt good with it.
On Fedora it's unusable, when I'm scrolling the text some font characters tend to mix and in some parts the text disappears! For fixing that behaviour I need to select the affected text but that doesn't work always and some font characters tend to remix!
I cannot work with these problems.
Are there a way to fix this? Or another (good) word processor with collaborate feature?
I'd like to work on my documents from different places (workstation and laptop)
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:29 PM
AlexDudko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Maybe you'll be interested in OpenOffice.org Writer.
Then enabled Compiz can also cause some problems with Abiword. Try to disable Compiz.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:36 PM
forkbomb Offline

unknownunknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokoci View Post
Are there a way to fix this? Or another (good) word processor with collaborate feature?
I'd like to work on my documents from different places (workstation and laptop)
I'm unsure about the Abiword issue.

As for "collaborate feature," do you mean realtime collaboration with other people, or just syncing your own documents? If you just need to work on docs from different places, two things that come to mind:

1) Try out some of the growing number of "cloud based" word processors like Google Docs or Zoho. Your docs are stored online and usable from any computer with internet access and a reasonably new web browser.
2) Sync documents between your machines using Dropbox.
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:47 PM
Lokoci Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDudko View Post
Then enabled Compiz can also cause some problems with Abiword. Try to disable Compiz.
No I don't use compiz :-(

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM CST ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjvanwyk View Post
As for "collaborate feature," do you mean realtime collaboration with other people, or just syncing your own documents? If you just need to work on docs from different places, two things that come to mind:
I mean by syncing the document, without moving the file from one place to another, yes.. but I don't want to use web based product :-(
I'm looking about dropbox..
Old 22nd December 2009, 12:52 PM
forkbomb Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokoci View Post
No I don't use compiz :-(

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM CST ----------

I mean by syncing the document, without moving the file from one place to another, yes.. but I don't want to use web based product :-(
Well, I understand that some people don't like their data on the cloud, but then you're going to need to homebrew some sort of solution.

You could sneakernet your documents. Or sync them from machine to machine with rsync or something similar. Either that, or store all your documents on your workstation and access them from the laptop over a network share.

Personally I dump most of my data on my dedicated file server and periodically sync the important stuff with various syncing software depending on OS.
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:33 PM
Lokoci Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sorry for this off-topic, I've installed OpenOffice Writer (only this package) from fedora repository.
When I try to run it:
"This operation is not supported on this operating system"

Tags
abiword, unusable