Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th December 2009, 09:13 AM
OceanRain Offline

windows_7firefox
Post HELP! WIn7 and Fedora 12 dual-boot

Hello, Thank you for checking out my thread.

Today I installed Fedora 12 on my new laptop Sony Vaio NW with windows & preinstalled in it. I already saved like 54GB free space for Fedora so space was no problem and during set up I choose the bootloader to be installed in the root. installation was completely successful but when I rebooted it, I got this message
Code:
no operating system found
the bootloader was totally GONE! it was neither windows bootloader, nor grub.
so i had to use thewindows recovery disk to reinstall windows bootloader and then my windows came back in life, but cant find any sign of Fedora.
Any suggestion??
Please help, I hate windows.
thank you

p.s. my system is 64bit.

Last edited by Dan; 18th December 2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Fonts and colors edited to comply with guidelines. Please read the guidelines before posting again.
Old 18th December 2009, 09:33 AM
PavanKY Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Did you manually install the windows bootloader, or did you do a factory restore ?

If you installed the windows bootloader, the best way forward would be to get a liveCD (of fedora which I presume you have), and try to reinstall grub. I am not familiar with how windows 7 boots, but it was fairly straightforward when I dual booted my system with vista.
Old 18th December 2009, 09:39 AM
distributer Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Just to let you know, most BIOS have a key like "F12" to open the boot menu. If you have the two operating systems on different harddrives, you can still boot Windows without bootloader in the mbr of your HD. This doesn't work with partitions
Old 18th December 2009, 11:53 AM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
"...during set up I choose the bootloader to be installed in the root"

What does that mean?
There is not such option in Fedora installer.
The default install will install the grub bootloader in the /boot dir and the boot sector on sda (or another disk if selected).
The other custom option is to put the boot sector on the first sector of /boot for another partition such as sda5. (but only if you installing a second grub for chanloading from the first grub.)

And what happened to your boot up sounds like you put the boot sector on the sdan rather than the default sda.
The bios boots the first system from sda and finds nothing.

SJ

Last edited by SlowJet; 18th December 2009 at 12:04 PM. Reason: sdnp for chainloading else sdn mbr
Old 18th December 2009, 12:49 PM
markkuk Offline

linuxfirefox
Looks like another instance of Bug 533658, if you place the boot loader somewhere else than the MBR the system will become unbootable because the active/bootable flag of the Windows partition is cleared.
Old 18th December 2009, 12:55 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by markkuk View Post
Looks like another instance of Bug 533658, if you place the boot loader somewhere else than the MBR the system will become unbootable because the active/bootable flag of the Windows partition is cleared.
Is that resent, because i used to install all over the place and use chainloading and never had to deal with windows being boot-able.

SJ

Naw, that bug is just someone confused about a triple boot system when he used the windows bootloader for the f11 and the /boot partition for f12.
All he had to do was a regular grub install, chainload to windows from f12, and then boot f11 from win bootloader.

Last edited by SlowJet; 18th December 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:07 PM
distributer Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
He meant if you want to use (in case of Win7) bootmgr.exe to boot Fedora grub on it's partition?

Anyway, if I choose to install grub on e.g. /dev/sda4 the installer musn't touch any other partition or even the mbr. This should result in a partiton, if booted to start it's own grubloader.

Last edited by distributer; 18th December 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:19 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Yes, but only if chainloader +1 from another grub to get the sda4 grub menu.

SJ
Old 18th December 2009, 01:30 PM
citojaso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I thought I would weigh in with my experiences. Trying to install dual boot W7 & F12 almost made me hate retirement. I searched for and tried different approaches for 3 days before finally having a bit of success.

Install W7 first. As you already know.

I had to create a / partition of at least 250 mg, formated to ext3 (make this partition bootable)....a linux swap partition of 2 gig (probably not needed but included just for safety)....and the rest of my hd is partitioned to lvm.

I installed F12. When it gets to the "where to install" part I selected "replace existing linux system" , made sure it was pointed to the right drives (partitions) and everything finally worked.

I think the key was the 250 mg / partition.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:31 PM
distributer Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Sure, but anyway if I tell the installer to only touch one partition it shouldn't do anything else. The default setting is to use grub to boot other systems anyway, this only applies to people who know what they do.

What if I want to use a floppy/cdrom/memory stick to choose what to boot? Or I have another System already set up (UNIX, BSD, Windows, Linux) with a bootloader and want to use it (grub, lilo, bootmgr, boot0 etc.)...
Old 18th December 2009, 01:45 PM
SlowJet Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by citojaso View Post
I thought I would weigh in with my experiences. Trying to install dual boot W7 & F12 almost made me hate retirement. I searched for and tried different approaches for 3 days before finally having a bit of success.

Install W7 first. As you already know.

I had to create a / partition of at least 250 mg, formated to ext3 (make this partition bootable)....a linux swap partition of 2 gig (probably not needed but included just for safety)....and the rest of my hd is partitioned to lvm.

I installed F12. When it gets to the "where to install" part I selected "replace existing linux system" , made sure it was pointed to the right drives (partitions) and everything finally worked.

I think the key was the 250 mg / partition.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
The default would have created a /boot and an LVM with root and swap LV.
Gub on the sda mbr and Winows 7 chanloaded from grub.

You, as many other, over thot the first instll.
Save that grief for the next install or re-install.

SJ

---------- Post added at 04:45 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 AM CST ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by distributer View Post
Sure, but anyway if I tell the installer to only touch one partition it shouldn't do anything else. The default setting is to use grub to boot other systems anyway, this only applies to people who know what they do.

What if I want to use a floppy/cdrom/memory stick to choose what to boot? Or I have another System already set up (UNIX, BSD, Windows, Linux) with a bootloader and want to use it (grub, lilo, bootmgr, boot0 etc.)...
Welcome to 1997 and dual booting.

SJ
Old 18th December 2009, 01:47 PM
citojaso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I my case the installer default was to create a 200 mg / partition. I found that was simply not big enough. The 250 mg / partition, in reality, was the only change I made to the install proccess.
Old 18th December 2009, 01:50 PM
distributer Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Sorry, I come from Gentoo. The philosophy is "It's all about choice!" you can do what ever you want and the OS provides the tools to do it...

This sounds like Windows 7, did you ever try to use it next to a physical volume? I tried it and it wasted it and then itself
Some things shouldn't be touched by the OS if the user doesn't want to
Old 18th December 2009, 02:04 PM
citojaso Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'm no expert. Just a key puncher, but i think that past versions of Fedora needed only 200 mg in the / partition and for some reason F12 needs more space but the default install will not or can not create it.

By the way, I had 2 separate hard drives installed when I installed W7. Only one was bootable. After installing W7 I found it had made the second H/D bootable and had installed it's MBR on it! Go figure. I had to unplug the second H/D to get W7 to install in a way that grub would work in it's simplest form.
Old 18th December 2009, 04:10 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hello everybody,

To me, the problem described in the first post was very likely caused by 1) Anaconda changing the active partition and 2) the user choosing not to install GRUB in the master boot record. Know why? Because it happened to me. I have always used NTLoader to boot everything. But starting with Fedora 11, my Windows boot loader would be busted after installing Fedora. It can be fixed in seconds by changing the active partition back to the Windows partition.

This issue has come to the attention of the developers and has been acknowledged to have been a well intentioned mistake. See the following threads for other incidents. Note the comments by HansdeGoede who is an Anaconda developer. I believe those comments mean that this matter will go back to normal in Fedora 13...
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=231421
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234875
P.S.: If the Fedora system is on a separate drive from Windows, then you will not notice anything vis-a-vis the Windows boot loader. The active partition is still changed on the Fedora drive, but the active partition on the Windows drive remains unchanged making Windows still capable of booting directly from BIOS.

P.P.S.: Lastly, during my time with this incident, I found out that fixmbr and fixboot (the usuall things we do to fix a Windows boot loader) will not help here because they do not change the active partition. Restoring the master boot record with the Super Grub Disk did change it back however. Anyway, I recommend using Linux fdisk or a partition manager for the job.

Last edited by stoat; 18th December 2009 at 04:50 PM.

Tags
64bit, dual boot, fedora 12, windows 7, x86