Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th December 2009, 07:18 PM
fedorer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Map Fn keys to change brightness

I have installed Fedora 12 (GNOME) on a VGN-AR41L. I have found that in /sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight I can change the brightness of the backlight. I want to assign the Fn+F5 to decrease the brightness and Fn+F6 to increase. These combinations are recognised from my system as XF86MonBrightnessDown and XF86MonBrightnessUp respectively. Any help?
Old 6th December 2009, 01:14 AM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera
There is this, but I don't know if it works with a recent version of Fedora.
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/fsfn/

Regarding the above, see comment at the bottom of the following page:
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/Sony/VAIO+VGN-115M

Maybe the following will work. I copied this from a French mailing list for a different model Sony.
Quote:
Use sonyacpi and then type "sudo-s" then "echo" 8 "> / proc / acpi / sony / brightness" to maximum brightness and "echo" 1 "> / proc / acpi / sony / brightness "for a minimum brightness.
Instead of sudo, I would just use su - to log in as root in terminal.

Tags
brightness, change, keys, map