Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th December 2009, 08:29 PM
DustinCasler Offline

linuxfirefox
KDE 4.3.4 in Fedora 12?

I've used the gnome desktop in Fedora and know that you get all the latest software and kernel updates. But i'm wondering if you're running KDE in Fedora if you also get the KDE updates. I know PCLinuxOS, for example packages each update so they are now using 4.3.4. I have searched but can't find anything saying weather or not Fedora stays with one version of KDE through each release or if you update. Thanks.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:44 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
As far as I know, KDE is updated through the life of a Fedor release just as Gnome is.

dd_wizard
Old 11th December 2009, 08:58 PM
William Haller Online

linuxsafari
The new monthly updates usually roll in after two to three weeks time. Since Gnome is so tightly integrated with the rest of the system, big updates for Gnome usually only happen when a new release of Fedora is shipped. KDE frequently will distribute even major releases midway through the cycle since it has fewer dependencies in the rest of the system.

This wasn't always the case. In early Fedora releases, you had to go offsite if you wanted the latest KDE for Fedora. But now that Rex has come on board (who was doing a lot of the packaging of the offsite KDE), we get the new packages much more quickly. Yay for Rex and the rest of the KDE packaging team. There are still a few bits that Fedora doesn't want to package that you need to pick up elsewhere if you want them, but it's still much better now than it was before.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:06 PM
DustinCasler Offline

linuxfirefox
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old 13th December 2009, 07:51 PM
rdieter Offline
Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox
kde-4.3.4 f12 updates are close to being queue'd for updates-testing. work on f11 packages will come close behind.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM CST ----------

sneak-peak update url: http://preview.tinyurl.com/kde434-fc12-1 (may change before it gets queue'd however)

Tags
fedora, kde