Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 26th November 2009, 08:22 PM
opethfan89 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Vertical scrolling bars in Fedora 12

Hey all,

I've installed Fedora quite a few times on my desktop without any problems, both using the built-in graphics chipset and my nVidia gForce fx5600 card.

My problem, however, is with my new laptop. I finally decided to take the plunge and delete the recovery partitions that came with it (YES, I made recovery disks beforehand), and to try and dual boot F12/XP. The XP is giving me major problems (but thats for another forum), and Fedora 12 installed fine.

The problem is as soon as the anaconda installer loads, it starts showing these scrolling vertical lines, that are a blue color. I'm not sure what is causing them or how to cure them. After the install completes, the lines are still there, although they arent visible on a black background, or when I have a webpage open. For example, when I load google, the white part of the browser that contains the webpage doesn't show the lines, but the top with the address bar, toolbar, menu and etc, shows the lines.

A minor issue it may be, but its pretty annoying staring at these lines. If anyone needs a screenshot I will do my best to take one. The best way of describing them is similar to when you try to video tape your monitor, it shows those lines? Except mine arent horizontal, they are vertical, and they aren't connected lines but little blocks.

My computer is an HP Pavillion dv7-3060us laptop, 500GB SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530, 4GB ram, came installed with win 7 home premium, 2.5 ghz processor.

If any further information is needed, please let me know.
Old 27th November 2009, 07:49 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I honestly cannot imagine what you mean, so if its possible to take a screenshot I would suggest to do so.
Old 27th November 2009, 07:56 AM
HansdeGoede Offline
Anaconda developer

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by opethfan89 View Post
Hey all,

I've installed Fedora quite a few times on my desktop without any problems, both using the built-in graphics chipset and my nVidia gForce fx5600 card.

My problem, however, is with my new laptop. I finally decided to take the plunge and delete the recovery partitions that came with it (YES, I made recovery disks beforehand), and to try and dual boot F12/XP. The XP is giving me major problems (but thats for another forum), and Fedora 12 installed fine.

The problem is as soon as the anaconda installer loads, it starts showing these scrolling vertical lines, that are a blue color. I'm not sure what is causing them or how to cure them. After the install completes, the lines are still there, although they arent visible on a black background, or when I have a webpage open. For example, when I load google, the white part of the browser that contains the webpage doesn't show the lines, but the top with the address bar, toolbar, menu and etc, shows the lines.

A minor issue it may be, but its pretty annoying staring at these lines. If anyone needs a screenshot I will do my best to take one. The best way of describing them is similar to when you try to video tape your monitor, it shows those lines? Except mine arent horizontal, they are vertical, and they aren't connected lines but little blocks.

My computer is an HP Pavillion dv7-3060us laptop, 500GB SATA HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4530, 4GB ram, came installed with win 7 home premium, 2.5 ghz processor.

If any further information is needed, please let me know.
I think there is some issue with initializing your graphics card, for starters try
adding "nomodeset" to the cmdline at the initial boot screen where you can chose between installation and memory testing (press tab, then add a space at the end of the pre filled boot command and add nomodeset).

If that does not help add "nomodeset vnc", then the installation will stay in textmode all the time, but it will start a vnc server, to which you then can connect from another machine to continue with the gui installer.

Regards,

Hans
Old 28th November 2009, 12:28 AM
opethfan89 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchwangler View Post
I honestly cannot imagine what you mean, so if its possible to take a screenshot I would suggest to do so.
Its really hard to describe, and I am attaching a picture of my monitor with the lines visible, enough that you guys will get the point of what my issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansdeGoede View Post
I think there is some issue with initializing your graphics card, for starters try
adding "nomodeset" to the cmdline at the initial boot screen where you can chose between installation and memory testing (press tab, then add a space at the end of the pre filled boot command and add nomodeset).

If that does not help add "nomodeset vnc", then the installation will stay in textmode all the time, but it will start a vnc server, to which you then can connect from another machine to continue with the gui installer.

Regards,

Hans
Thanks for the reply Hans. So you suggest that I wipe out the current installation I have and reinstall using those options? I know it has something to do with my graphics card and I reallly don't want to have to reinstall if I don't absolutely need to, since re-installing the Windows 7 install on my computer (using factory reset recovery discs) takes 3+ hours. If possible, I'd like to just install whichever patch or fix I may need to fix this graphics issue.

If reinstallation is the only way, then I assume I will be able to delete the F12 partition and re-install it without compromising my Windows install correct?

Thanks for the help guys, I really hope to get this quirk fixed so I can truly enjoy F12 on my laptop.

*EDIT* Just a thought, but might it be because I am using 64-bit F12 and not 32-bit? I have 32 bit installed on my desktop and it works fine, and on an old laptop it worked fine. This new one is 64-bit procesor so I downloaded and installed the corresponding 64-bit F12 DVD. I know the 64-bit only affects how much RAM the system takes advantage of but maybe its a path to investigate?

Last edited by opethfan89; 28th November 2009 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add snapshot mentioned in post.
Old 28th November 2009, 08:29 AM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxmozilla
No need to reinstall the system. What Hans means is that you edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and add "nomodeset" (without the quotes) at the end of your kernel line. This is to disable kernel mode setting. If it doesn't work, you can always remove it.

With respect to 32 vs. 64 bit, there should be no difference. There might be a difference if you are using proprietary drivers, but usually, there is not.
Old 28th November 2009, 10:49 PM
opethfan89 Offline

windows_7firefox
Quote:
No need to reinstall the system. What Hans means is that you edit your /boot/grub/menu.lst file and add "nomodeset" (without the quotes) at the end of your kernel line. This is to disable kernel mode setting. If it doesn't work, you can always remove it.

With respect to 32 vs. 64 bit, there should be no difference. There might be a difference if you are using proprietary drivers, but usually, there is not.
Most excellent. Lucky I am comfortable editing the menu.lst file, and have done so enough times to know how NOT to mess things up. Will do so and let you guys know how it works.

See what I mean about the vertical lines though? Its annoying
Old 29th November 2009, 09:00 AM
HansdeGoede Offline
Anaconda developer

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:

That is correct, I thought the vertical lines issue was blocking you from completing an installation of / upgrade to F-12. I know see it does not block installation, in that case the above solution is correct.

Regards,

Hans
Old 29th November 2009, 05:08 PM
opethfan89 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
GREAT NEWS! The suggestion you made about adding the nomodeset works perfect, and those annoying lines are gone!

Thanks very much for your help, and I'll be able to slowly make the transition over to linux on my laptop!
Old 29th November 2009, 06:58 PM
HansdeGoede Offline
Anaconda developer

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile

Hi,

Quote:
GREAT NEWS! The suggestion you made about adding the nomodeset works perfect, and those annoying lines are gone!

Thanks very much for your help, and I'll be able to slowly make the transition over to linux on my laptop!
That is good to hear, can you please file a bug in bugzilla, against component xorg-x11-drv-ati, so that eventually this can get fixed properly?

(Note: technically this is a kernel bug, but filing the bug against xorg-x11-drv-ati gets it to the right person quicker).

Regards,

Hans
Old 30th November 2009, 01:36 AM
opethfan89 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
OK I am going to file the bug, but I'm not quite sure how to word the problem so it is understood by whoever is assigned to it...what should I name it as? And do I need to provide any details? (I haven't filed a bug yet, so I'm new to this).

I know they ask to list steps to recreate the problem, so what should I put there?

Last edited by opethfan89; 30th November 2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 30th November 2009, 11:55 AM
HansdeGoede Offline
Anaconda developer

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
OK I am going to file the bug, but I'm not quite sure how to word the problem so it is understood by whoever is assigned to it...what should I name it as? And do I need to provide any details? (I haven't filed a bug yet, so I'm new to this).

I know they ask to list steps to recreate the problem, so what should I put there?
I think something like: "Vertical scrolling bars when use modesetting" isa good summary, other then that reproduction instructions would be: "install F-12 on a .... model laptop". And please attach /var/log/Xorg.0.log to the bug.

Regards,

Hans

Tags
bars, fedora, scrolling, vertical