Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th November 2009, 01:25 PM
kmacphail Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Cannot run (execute) any binary files FC12

I have recently installed FC12 64 bit. I have been using Fedora now since I first installed FC9 a few years back.

My main problem is that I am unable to execute any files at all using the ./filename command. I spent last night trying to run the ipod bootloader and all I kept on getting was the message: unable to run binary file. I used the command chmod +x ipodpatcher before attempting to run it, but with no luck. After a while of frustration and a few suggestions online I booted up my Ubuntu OS and the file ran first time. Am I missing a program on FC12? Do I need to install something else?

I feel it may be simple, however I have never experienced this problem before using Fedora. Any suggestions?
Old 20th November 2009, 05:44 PM
rurban Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacphail View Post
My main problem is that I am unable to execute any files at all using the ./filename command. I spent last night trying to run the ipod bootloader and all I kept on getting was the message: unable to run binary file. I used the command chmod +x ipodpatcher before attempting to run it, but with no luck. After a while of frustration and a few suggestions online I booted up my Ubuntu OS and the file ran first time. Am I missing a program on FC12? Do I need to install something else?
putting "./" in front of an executable file simply instructs your shell to execute a file in a particular directory, in this case, in your current directory. Without path information, such as "./", an executable file with the given name must be present in the list of directories in the $PATH variable, assuming you use bash.

The very first question is: what kind of file is filename??

To find out, run the command
Code:
$ file <filename>
on it. If it is a shell-script, which seems likely, examine the file using, for example,
Code:
$ less <filename>
On the very first line you should see something like
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for a bash script,
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
for a perl script, etc. Make sure an executable interpreter exists with that path. If not, either edit the script and fix the path, or simply run the script as a parameter to the appropriate interpreter:
Code:
$ bash <filename>
Rob Urban
Old 25th November 2009, 10:39 AM
kmacphail Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thanks for the help Rob, I've been discussing this on a few forums. There was a problem with the image I downloaded, although it was marked 86_64 when I actually ran some tests on it it ended up being the 32 bit version (d'oh) so a re-installation was necessary. Anyway no worries, I have now been able to run the programs I needed and I have a working 64 bit system.

Tags
binary, execute, fc12, files, run