Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th November 2009, 02:30 AM
volgon Offline

windows_7ie
F12 i686 install hang

I'm trying to install Fedora 12 32-bit on an HP Mini 110 netbook and the system hangs at "waiting for hardware to initialize...". Using the nomodeset kernel parameter does not help. I have tried both the PAE and non-PAE kernels through PXE booting and I have the same problem. I have also tried booting from the boot.iso off of the hard disk and that hangs at the same place as well.

Fedora 11 runs fine on this system.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
Old 18th November 2009, 02:42 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Tried noprobe option?
Old 18th November 2009, 03:09 AM
volgon Offline

windows_7ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcrblevins View Post
Tried noprobe option?
Thank you very much! The noprobe kernel parameter got anaconda to start. Hopefully the remainder of the install will go smoothly.

Thanks again!
Old 18th November 2009, 06:09 AM
julkie Offline

windows_7firefox
volgon its works for you? i have the same netbook and i just cant run de livecd via usb...
thanks.
Old 18th November 2009, 06:22 AM
nparafe Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
add this to the boot options ssb.blacklist=1. Put this option at the parameters at the first boot after installation and then install wl-kmod from rpm fusion. That worked for me.
Old 18th November 2009, 07:01 AM
julkie Offline

windows_7firefox
[install cd] not look with 'noprobe' when its asks for the image of the instalation directory no sdb option for my usb is in the list...

[live cd] just dont boot...

im running the isos from a pendrive with fedora liveusb creator.
and my netbook is a hp mini 110

some help?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nparafe View Post
add this to the boot options ssb.blacklist=1. Put this option at the parameters at the first boot after installation and then install wl-kmod from rpm fusion. That worked for me.
thats works with the livecd thanks now im just configuring my fedora 12 desktop...
thanks again.
Old 19th November 2009, 04:07 AM
volgon Offline

windows_7ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nparafe View Post
Thank you nparafe! Adding just the ssb.blacklist=1 kernel parameter on my system worked also. I did a PXE network install and it went fine.
Old 20th November 2009, 11:26 AM
kraseef Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi All,

I am facing exactly the same problem with my HP mini 110. I am attempting to install Fedora 12 from USB. It also hangs at the "waiting for hardware to initialize". I am not as experienced as you guys.

Volgon, could you perhaps explain to me how did you fix the problem either by noprobe or with the ssb.balcklist=1. In other words how and where do you specify these parameters?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Ok guyes

I have done it using bbs.back.... . However, when installing packages and reaching to post-installation activity, it starts writing the boot loader but it stucks at that point. nothing works then and I will have to hard boot it.

Tried the process serveral times but with no success.

My mini is system less now ... can any body help !!!

Thanks.

Last edited by kraseef; 20th November 2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 21st November 2009, 02:28 AM
volgon Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Setting the kernel parameter of "noprobe" seemed to cause other problems for me. Anaconda generally failed before as it tried to install packages. However setting just "ssb.blacklist=1" made the install go without an errors or problems. The system booted up fine. After install the package kmod-wl from rpmfusion.org the wireless worked. All of the other hardware worked out of the box.
Old 29th November 2009, 03:55 AM
jockeyshift Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraseef View Post
I am facing exactly the same problem with my HP mini 110. I am attempting to install Fedora 12 from USB. It also hangs at the "waiting for hardware to initialize". ....
My HP mini 110 did the same thing except I was booting from an external DVD drive. Even with ssb.blacklist=1 added to the boot options, it would hang at "waiting for hardware to initialize. What fixed mine, believe it or not, was to pull the battery out. I rebooted from the DVD, added ssb.blacklist=1 back to the boot options, and all was well. I tried it several times with the battery in and it failed every time. Once the OS was loaded on the hdd, I put the battery back in and Fedora 12 operated normally. Hope this helps.
Old 29th November 2009, 04:10 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Ok, first of all, I don't care for Live CD, Been using CD/DVD before "Live CDs" came out since Fedora Core 1. Please try the DVD and use noprobe option as it worked for the OP.

Went DVD to begin with, less to download/updates up front.
Noprobe, you could google it, if needed:
Code:
linux noprobe

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM CST ----------

If installing Live CD did work for you, please share your trick, which Live CD flavor was it? KDE or Gnome, etc.
Old 11th December 2009, 08:52 AM
rez84 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
What worked for me in the installation was in the boot options for the kernel I deleted the rhgb and then quiet, then put ssb.blacklist=1 for me it didn't matter if I was using the 'LiveCD' or the USB method, both booted into the live image using this. After I installed F12 I was having issues with udev where it would hang. reboot and then put in the kernel options ignore_loglevel and ssb.blacklist=1. F12 was then able to boot correctly. After setting up the user accounts and other settings install the rpmfusion repositories and run yum update. There is a patch for udev to be on the safe side I did yum search broadcom-wl for the wireless card. When it's all said and done you will be able to start the os without any boot options.

I hope this can help someone who is experiencing the same issues

Last edited by rez84; 17th December 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 16th December 2009, 07:17 AM
Thetargos Online

linuxfedorafirefox
I just got my HP Mini 110, and I don't seem to be able to use any of those options, at the point where udev should start, All I get is "No root device found" Twice then "Boot failed, sleeping forever"...

If I use no options, but delete rhgb and quiet from the kernel command line (and add nomodeset) I still see this, at this point it doesn't matter what options I use or don't use... Very strange.

I have to use a liveCD image on a USB stick as I do not have a USB-CD/DVD drive for regular installation. Any pointers would be much appreciated... I utterly hated Windows 7 on this machine, and miss my Fedora so much!

FedoraForum Community forums lurker.
Fedora user since RHL 5.2 :cool:

Systems: Laptop, Main System, Netbook.
Old 14th January 2010, 05:37 PM
erroneus Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Just weighing in here:

HP Mini 1101. Using ssb.blacklist=1 did the trick here. Installing using a USB DVD writer (LG GP08). So far so good. I have not done more than get beyond the initial hanging problem at this time.
Old 24th February 2010, 04:12 PM
JBLoudG20 Offline

macosfirefox
FWIW, ssb.blacklist=1 also did the rick for me on my HP Mini 210HD

Thanks guys! I was scared I was going to have to give Ubuntu a shot!

Tags
f12, hang, i686, install