Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th November 2009, 09:42 PM
Frila Offline

linuxfirefox
F12 LiveCD "No root device found..."

When I try to boot from Fedora 12 LiveCD system halts with the messages:

"No root device found"
"Boot has failed, sleeping forever"

Would appreciate some help on this issue.
Old 17th November 2009, 10:01 PM
mmix Offline

linuxfirefox
same problem happened here.
I have tried remove 'quiet' 'rhgb' or modified "LABEL=LIVE", but it didn't worked.

maybe try to use cdrom, not liveusb or unetbootin.
Old 18th November 2009, 06:45 PM
die-nmi! Offline

windows_7firefox
Same here

64 Bit KDE Live Image on a brand new I7 System (with Blueray Rom) - exactly the error described here

However: On a Lenovo Thinkpad SL500 (with a dvd burner) the same CD worked.

Regards,
die nmi!
Old 18th November 2009, 07:47 PM
gruuby Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Same problem. I have two hds and use lvm. Only one of the drives shows up. The second is there but the upgrade script can't see it and the volume group that contains my old root partition is never activated. Activating manually works. Buggy Anaconda. Have you guys tried uplugging all hds other then the one containing your old Fedora?

There are more folks who have problems getting their drives recognized by Anaconda:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=234047
for example.

Last edited by gruuby; 18th November 2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 18th November 2009, 08:41 PM
die-nmi! Offline

windows_7firefox
@gruuby:
Hi Gruuby - your description sounds like a different issue.
What Frila originally described is a problem occuring with the Live CD Spins stopping in the middle of the boot, telling you: "No root device found"
"Boot has failed, sleeping forever" . We never face the desktop - after the grub menue the cd drive gets silent, the animated plymouth (is that the name) logo shows up for a moment and than the whole thing goes to hell. So people with this kind of configuration never see if a lvm partition is recognised or anything. ALT F2... does not work either. No console - nothing but plain death everywhere.

@64Bit KDE Live CD SPin makers:

THE KDE 64Bit Live-CD Spin on my thinkpad SL500 (it's booting there) is bad bad bad (standard Intel GFX Card, fabulous and errorfree on Fedora 11).
No taskbar, no windowdecorations.

Guys, LiveCDs are there to check if Fedora might be something for the people out there. If you mess it up like this, Fedoras reputation is going downhill in rapid speeds!
This is just sad. Very bad. And this screws the marketing guys too.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:57 PM
MrFreddy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hi,
same problem here. Except i tried my F12 Live USB. I tried on 4 different computers ranging from from single IDE HDD + Intel graphics to multi SATA HDD + nVidia. Same error message. I tried adding 'nomodeset' but it didn't help either.

FL

Edit 1
I just burned the same image on to CD-R and F12 boots no problem on my laptop. 1x IDE HDD + Intel GPU. I remember i always had issue with Live-USB F12 (Alpha, Beta) so the issue for me is live usb rather then live CD.

Edit 2
Today an updated version of usblive-creator has been released. After recreating the live usb with the new version, boot of USB-Live is working. The new version of liveusb-creator asked for root password as it said it might need elevated permissions.

Last edited by MrFreddy; 19th November 2009 at 02:08 AM.
Old 18th November 2009, 11:10 PM
MuadNu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
This is been going on for a while. It has been happening to me since some time after the alpha release. Here's a thread about the issue http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=232275 (the thread is now closed after the final release). Some people got it working somehow, but nothing worked for me. Let's hope that now that the final release is out the developers pay some attention to this, though I'm not sure what can be done at this stage.

By the way, the installation media seemingly does not have the issue (the dvd, cds, or netinstall). Unfortunately for me, they don't work in my case either, but probably this is a different issue.
Old 19th November 2009, 12:19 AM
Techbart Offline

linuxopera
Um, just a thought

Yeah....um, just thought it was worth pointing out that perhaps this issue is to do with the installation method, rather than the media. GRUB now recognises ext4 at boot level, so perhaps there has been enough of a change to make unetbootin or similar apps to have an issue with the changes.

Rob.
Old 20th November 2009, 10:46 PM
AlexMex90 Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
tried to make a LiveUSB with unetbootin (I ran out of CDs and I did'nt wanted to buy some hehe) and I got the same message, when booting. and then, nothing happens...

"No root device found"
Old 21st November 2009, 12:23 AM
MuadNu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMex90 View Post
tried to make a LiveUSB with unetbootin (I ran out of CDs and I did'nt wanted to buy some hehe) and I got the same message, when booting. and then, nothing happens...

"No root device found"
I gave up with this. By the way, seemingly the issue is not with the usb, other people have had the same problem booting from the cd. If you want to install F12, as opposed to just try it, you can use unetbootin to boot from the dvd iso (if you have a 4 GB usb stick), or maybe even the netinstall. Those don't have this problem.
Old 21st November 2009, 02:59 AM
AlexMex90 Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuadNu View Post
I gave up with this. By the way, seemingly the issue is not with the usb, other people have had the same problem booting from the cd. If you want to install F12, as opposed to just try it, you can use unetbootin to boot from the dvd iso (if you have a 4 GB usb stick), or maybe even the netinstall. Those don't have this problem.
I will try with Linux Live USB creator, I have read somewhere that the issue is directly related with unetbootin, maybe this one works. I will post results.
Old 21st November 2009, 03:01 AM
MuadNu Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMex90 View Post
I will try with Linux Live USB creator, I have read somewhere that the issue is directly related with unetbootin, maybe this one works. I will post results.
It is most definitely not directly related with unetbootin. I've tried other methods, including livecd-iso-to-disk, and even directly copying the iso and installing grub on the usb stick, always with the exact same results.
Old 21st November 2009, 03:05 AM
sgarmer Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
what i stumbled onto

had no problem year ago loading openSuse or Fedora and have made no physical chgs to my computer. PCLOS 2009.2 no problem. i happened to put a 2nd copy of fedora in my 2nd cdrom. The system booted from my first as usual and then switched over to 2nd for loadind! I suspect some change in the programming of the livecd in regard to the new grub or kernel? I have now found the same thing with the latest Mint, OpenSuse, and Mandriva! (also both kde and gnome Fedora). System starts booting from one drive and then switches to the other to complete the loading.

Last edited by sgarmer; 20th December 2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: confirmation of results with other distros
Old 21st November 2009, 03:07 AM
AlexMex90 Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
too bad... seems that another new Fedora release... another problems to try it... (with fedora 11 I had problems to install it)
Old 25th November 2009, 06:01 PM
Dandapani Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Same thing happened to me with the Live CD iso. Trying the full DVD.

(Asus EEE 1000)

Tags
f12, livecd, no root device found