Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd May 2004, 01:08 PM
pamindic

FC2 install - Radeon 9200 fails

I'm doing a clean install of FC2-64 on an empty HD. All goes well - Anaconda goes through its graphic install routine, picks up my Radeon 9200 g/card without complaint. No error messages. It doesn't recognise my Samsung monitor, but I set it to the right resolution and refresh rates. Install finishes, and I re-boot, but all I get on-screen is a left-right smear of pixels, and the machine freezes. up.

I've tried another monitor, and that results much the same - this time a blank screen and freeze.

I've studied the discussions re. Radeon graphics cards and drivers, but it all seems to relate to getting the 3-D functionality to work. All I want is a 2-D monitor. I saw a post that said that FC2 would operate my card ok in 2-D.

What seems a bit strange is that Anaconda produces a graphic screen, but the final install doesn't. Can anyone help? Do I need to install the ATI drivers, replace X0rg with XFree or whatever and, if so, how do I even get a command prompt to start making config changes.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by pamindic; 22nd May 2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 26th May 2004, 02:39 AM
egurski Offline

I am having the same problem on a Dell Laptop. It worked on FC1 but not FC2 --- montor cannot be probed.

As for getting to a command prompt, just use ctrl-alt-f1 through ctrl-alt-f6. You will get a command prompt on any one of these. F7 is reserved for the X window.

Let me know if you discover anything....

Tags
fc2, fresh, install, video