FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Boot has failed, sleeping forever

    Our Acer One Aspire running F12 will no longer boot - this is bad.

    drm: dram_mode_rmfb *ERROR* tried to remove a fb that we ddidn't own

    any workaround ?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmmm, need some advice on this - I've got a non-booting laptop on my hands - do I need to reinstall ? was there a new fix to this in the last day since I updated ? Is this critical bug being worked on ?

    fyi most of the other msgs on this topic were on live cd or usb stick - my instance was from the hard drive - was runnning fine yesterday afternoon, shut down and then a few hours later it would not boot - very serious bug!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,185
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try the daily build thats what worked for me, i beleive the link is posted in a sticky

    good luck!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tragic City, Michigan USA
    Posts
    1,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you try booting an earlier kernel? Also did you use yumex to update as there was a problem with yumex corrupting the kernel and causing a boot failure. On my AAO F12 install I booted an older kernel then removed the newest kernel then run yum update from a terminal and it fixed my AAO F12 install.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryptyde
    Did you try booting an earlier kernel? Also did you use yumex to update as there was a problem with yumex corrupting the kernel and causing a boot failure. On my AAO F12 install I booted an older kernel then removed the newest kernel then run yum update from a terminal and it fixed my AAO F12 install.
    yikes. No I didn't use yumex - just yum update. I had installed from F12 Beta then yum updated, last being a couple of days ago. My AAO will boot from the USB stick -

    since time is running on, I will simply reinstall from the USB stick and yum update - I just don't want the same thing to happen again

    Maybe I need to completely reformat my USB stick and then reinstall beta ? Not sure the best way to do that.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tragic City, Michigan USA
    Posts
    1,703
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for the reinstall from the liveusb it only takes about 15 min max.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    yikes. No I didn't use yumex - just yum update. I had installed from F12 Beta then yum updated, last being a couple of days ago. My AAO will boot from the USB stick -

    since time is running on, I will simply reinstall from the USB stick and yum update - I just don't want the same thing to happen again

    Maybe I need to completely reformat my USB stick and then reinstall beta ? Not sure the best way to do that.

    Oh, it's only gotten weirder ! some facts: my AAO was partitioned with:
    sda
    sda1 /boot (ext 4)
    sda2 /home (ext 3) because I had existing data
    sda3 / (ext 4)

    extedned
    swap

    now when I reinstalled and did custom partitioning - the sda2 /home partition was listed as ext4 (huh?) and the sda3 / was ? not found - so somewhere it broke the partitions - ouch, real nasty bug

    so I did not reformat the home drive (to keep the data), reformatted the others and installed. Now my /home drive only shows the new user I created with the new install. And there is some other drive shown with like a beehive symbol and on that drive/folder is all the existing data and former users.

    "df" simply shows sda2 as being using by all the exisiting data

    So possible bugs:
    1) having /home (sda2) before / (sda3)
    2) the users on the old data having numbers greater than 1000 (holdover from previous ubuntu)
    3) something how the usb stick install partitions or formats
    4) something wrong with the partition / format tool
    5) something in the yum updates that breaks the partitions

    I'll see how my new install holds up

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Our Acer One Aspire running F12 will no longer boot - this is bad.

    drm: dram_mode_rmfb *ERROR* tried to remove a fb that we ddidn't own

    any workaround ?
    I got this error trying to boot F12 live from USB, the workaround I found was to remove "quiet" and "rhgb" from the boot options. Don't know if the removal of both are necessary but it worked for me on my EeePC 1000H (Intel GMA945 graphics).

Similar Threads

  1. Taking forever to boot (quotas? I didn't enable...)
    By fozner in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th September 2006, 08:16 AM
  2. boot takes forever when off the network
    By ogross74 in forum Servers & Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 1st October 2004, 06:22 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •