Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th October 2009, 07:12 PM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfedorafirefox
Warning: be careful using yumex to update F12

Just a general warning - it's come to light in a couple of threads that if you use yumex to update a Fedora 12 Beta installation, it seems to have trouble updating the kernel package, and leaves the updated kernel broken. If you're stuck in this situation, remove the new kernel package and re-install it using yum or PackageKit, that should make it work properly. If you've installed F12 Beta but haven't updated yet, please update with yum or PackageKit, not yumex.

Thanks!
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 27th October 2009, 08:44 PM
ovadyah Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for this update. I have done as prescribed and the new kernel is working, it is working as the old one did...no NM and I am getting the same boot error as I posted in the other thread.

""WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d"

Thanks for all the help and the progress I have made.
Registered Linux User #452472

Homebuilt = athlon II x2 F21
Dell Inspiron = Sempron 140 W8
Old 27th October 2009, 09:16 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Adam, this could nail a lot of folks, so I'm adding this to an announcement.
Old 27th October 2009, 09:47 PM
flokip Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I did file bug
Reported: 2009-09-16
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=523644
Old 28th October 2009, 02:54 AM
ryptyde Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Had the yumex problem with the kernel update and removed the kernel then done yum update and it fixed the problem.

Before reinstalling the kernel it would boot to a black screen to an unresponsive blinking cursor and then doing Ctrl+Alt+F2 would get me to a text login. Entering startx would error out with no suitable screens.

I would have never guessed that yumex was the culprit and it does appear to boot quicker too!
Old 28th October 2009, 04:22 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I don't even know what "yumex" is. If fact I get 'Command not found' when trying to find help. I have seen several references about it and figured I don't need it.
Old 28th October 2009, 04:23 AM
Demz

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
http://www.yum-extender.org/blog/
Old 28th October 2009, 12:59 PM
mit Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Check here for details about the issue

http://www.yum-extender.org/blog/200...xtender-2-9-x/
Old 28th October 2009, 03:54 PM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovadyah View Post
Thanks for this update. I have done as prescribed and the new kernel is working, it is working as the old one did...no NM and I am getting the same boot error as I posted in the other thread.

""WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d"
The file /etc/modprobe.conf isn't even supposed to exist. Do an ls -l on it to see when it was created and if it's a zero-byte file. Also run "rpm -qf /etc/modprobe.conf" to see if it's owned by any package. If not, you should be able to remove it to get rid of the error message. I've seen the same problem with this file being created at install time (not with F12 Beta, but with F11, I think). No one has figured out why this happens occasionally or what is responsible for creating it.
Old 28th October 2009, 04:25 PM
ovadyah Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by robatino View Post
The file /etc/modprobe.conf isn't even supposed to exist. Do an ls -l on it to see when it was created and if it's a zero-byte file. Also run "rpm -qf /etc/modprobe.conf" to see if it's owned by any package. If not, you should be able to remove it to get rid of the error message. I've seen the same problem with this file being created at install time (not with F12 Beta, but with F11, I think). No one has figured out why this happens occasionally or what is responsible for creating it.
Thanks, it was as you said. I do see the error in the boot messages, can I get that to clear some way? I tried rebooting twice and it is still there.

Old 28th October 2009, 04:27 PM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Is it in fact a zero-byte file? Does the modification time tell you whether it was created at install time? Is it owned by any package? Did you delete the file as I suggested, and if so, is it being recreated each time you boot?
Old 28th October 2009, 05:52 PM
ovadyah Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
It was a zero byte file, I did not really note the time of creation, it was not owned by any package, I deleted it and it has not re-appeared. The error message in the boot log is there each time I boot. Perhaps there is a way to clear that?
thanks again.

Old 28th October 2009, 06:04 PM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I don't understand why the message would appear if the file it refers to doesn't exist anymore. After I deleted this file on my machine, the error message disappeared.
Old 28th October 2009, 06:25 PM
ovadyah Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by robatino View Post
I don't understand why the message would appear if the file it refers to doesn't exist anymore. After I deleted this file on my machine, the error message disappeared.
It still appears, however it is before everything else, even before Welcome to Fedora. It is like it is stuck in the header???????? I do not get the error down in the boot log steps, as I did before.

Old 28th October 2009, 06:29 PM
robatino Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
If you're talking about graphical boot, I disabled that by deleting "rhgb" and "quiet" from the kernel lines in grub.conf, so maybe that's why I don't see the same problem.

Tags
careful, f12, update, warning, yumex