Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:18 AM
yzpdsg Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Does Fedora 12 beta has some software source?

It is really important to me since I'm not quite familiar with compiling source code.Why the fedora 11 source didn't work on 12?
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:51 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hello yzpdsg,

I haven't compiled source in a long while, but I thought source code was sort of universal. It compiles against any kernel to build and install the software. No? So I'm wondering if you have the necessary compiling packages for Fedora 12 installed. In addition to the usual Development Tools group packages, I always installed kernel-headers and kernel-devel. Did you remember to do that?

P.S.: For the i686 PAE kernel, its kernel-PAE-devel.

P.P.S.: I'm not sure now that I even understand the question any more. Sorry.

Last edited by stoat; 23rd October 2009 at 03:18 AM.
Old 23rd October 2009, 07:28 PM
Dies Offline

macossafari
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
P.P.S.: I'm not sure now that I even understand the question any more. Sorry.
LOL, how could anybody?

@yzpdsg

I think you would be much better off telling us exactly what you are trying to.

You say you have no experience compiling from source, but you also say it's very important to you
Old 24th October 2009, 04:17 AM
yzpdsg Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dies View Post
LOL, how could anybody?

@yzpdsg

I think you would be much better off telling us exactly what you are trying to.

You say you have no experience compiling from source, but you also say it's very important to you
I need to install mplayer to play some music.In fedora 11,I could use 'yum install mplayer' to complete my job.However,this doesn't work in fedora12 since there isn't any mplayer in the forge.So my problem is that can we install mplayer just by typing 'yum install mplayer' instead of compiling from source?
Old 24th October 2009, 04:38 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzpdsg

So my problem is that can we install mplayer just by typing 'yum install mplayer' instead of compiling from source?
Yes, if you install a repo that has it. You can get binary versions of mplayer via yum from RPM Fusion or ATrpms. MPlayer is not available in the Fedora repos, and it's always been that way. Even in Fedora 11. So if you installed it with yum in Fedora 11, then you also installed a third party repo and just forgot about doing that, or you didn't realize the connection between that and being able to install mplayer.

P.S.: I just looked at the rawhide repo at RPM Fusion and the Fedora 12 repo at ATrpms, and they both have mplayer.

Last edited by stoat; 24th October 2009 at 04:44 AM.

Tags
beta, fedora, software, source