Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th October 2004, 11:45 PM
Sniffer Offline

Exclamation Fedora Core 3 test 2 problems

Hi,

1st i want your opinion, wich is the most stable enviroment for Fedora Core 3 Test 2 KDE 3.3.0 or Gnome 2.8??

2nd I'm using firestarter, should i have the inbuild firewall active as well??

3rd i have been using gnome 2.8, i share the net (i don't know if it have something with this).....but when i left my desktop alone....or even at working at it.....my System Just FREEZE...the mouse don't move..nothing...i have to press the reset button to start it over...wich is very annoying...anyone in the same situation?

This fedora is a server desktop....and i really want some advise to make it stable...because rebooting half an hour in half an hour is Crazy...i want to make it running 24 on 24h.

Thanks for the help
Sniff.
Old 5th October 2004, 12:28 AM
superbnerd

For #2, ou should disable the inbuilt firewall and just use firestarter
#3, about the freezes, check you system logs for clues, but it definitely sounds like a bug that you should report to the fedrao bugzilla
You last point about uptime. You should be aware that you are running a test release. Test release exist for testing and reporting bugs. There are usually a lot of bugs to be found, so the system is not very stable and is not recommended for production. That being said, it may be hard to have a 24/7 uptime if you're using a test release.
Old 5th October 2004, 02:24 AM
jrittvo Offline

Since gnome is the default desktop for Fedora, I think they give it attention before turning to KDE. I've been running KDE with FC3-T2 though, and except for a few messed up icons, it has been near perfect.

Your crashing sounds like it might be happening when your screensaver comes on. If so, you may have it set to use random screensavers, and when it picks a GLX based one, you probably don't have suitable GLX support up and running yet, so it crashes X, which makes it seem as though your system has frozen. Try turning off screensavers, or choose a single one that you know works if this might be the problem.

Tags
core, fedora, problems, test