FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    F12 Won't boot on Linux only MacBook

    F12 Live CD boots and runs fine. I installed to hard drive and now get:

    Grub loading.
    error: unknown filesystem
    grub rescue> _
    (it is hung - I cannot type any commands here)

    I think I somehow have to use root and setup but don't remember and can't find specifics

    if I boot on CD, go to terminal, use su - and then enter grub and try:
    > find /boot/grub/stage1 - I get file not found

    I don't have my OSX disk with me and don't want OSX on the system. I also prefer not to use refit but have a refit rescue disk with me. thks for any help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the partitioning scheme you used during the install? Did you have any linux distro installed before on the same machine?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by narasim_7
    What was the partitioning scheme you used during the install? Did you have any linux distro installed before on the same machine?
    /sda
    /sda1 /boot
    /sda2 /
    /sda3 /home
    /extended
    /sda5 /swap

    came from ubuntu (we had problem before with it trashing mbr on macbook) - needed to reset boot but I can't remember how we did it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    141
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is your boot partition on ext3/ext2 ? I guess grub (atleast the installed through fedora) won't boot unless it is either of the two, I could be wrong here though

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by narasim_7
    Is your boot partition on ext3/ext2 ? I guess grub (atleast the installed through fedora) won't boot unless it is either of the two, I could be wrong here though
    /boot is ext4 as defaulted in F12 so grub should be there from F12 as well

    ps (I actually tried the old way of using ext3 for /boot - but that gave same broken result)

    has more to do with efi hard drive

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    91
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    /boot is ext4 as defaulted in F12 so grub should be there from F12 as well

    ps (I actually tried the old way of using ext3 for /boot - but that gave same broken result)

    has more to do with efi hard drive

    **** FIXED *****

    mentioned elsewhere - just had to put pieces together

    boot with Live CD
    open up terminal
    su - (becomes root)
    # grub
    > root (hd0,0)
    > setup (hd0)
    > quit

    reboot => fedora goodness

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 3rd August 2009, 10:33 PM
  2. Fedora KDE 7 Won't Boot On Macbook
    By IamNoBody in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 15th August 2007, 10:31 AM
  3. New MacBook for Linux?
    By sej7278 in forum Hardware
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th May 2007, 08:06 AM
  4. Macbook Pro restarts during boot of FC6
    By naota53 in forum EOL (End Of Life) Versions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 18th March 2007, 08:35 AM
  5. macbook: resized hfs+ partion, no boot!
    By jbob286 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th February 2007, 06:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •