Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 18th October 2009, 11:14 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Where Is System/Storage in Gconf?

For the reasons I gave here, I'd like to change the default automount options for USB flash drives. From what I've been reading, they used to be shown by gconftool -g /system/storage/default_options/vfat/mount_options. However, in gnome 2.28 under Fedora 12, the storage subdirectory no longer exists under system. Where are they located now? IMHO, noatime should be default for USB flash drives.
Old 20th October 2009, 12:34 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I finally answered my own question! According to this thread, the default mount options are hardcoded in devicekit-disks. Oh well...
Old 20th October 2009, 12:57 AM
Dies Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd_wizard View Post
I finally answered my own question! According to this thread, the default mount options are hardcoded in devicekit-disks. Oh well...
No one should really use vfat anymore, aside from thumbdrives. Maybe the reason behind those defaults?

In any case, if you really need it, just grab the src rpm and apply the patch. It's not that hard.

Edit -

Sorry, you could also use fstab. You could manually mount it with whatever options you like.

Filing a bug on it could work too, probably not, but you still should.

Last edited by Dies; 20th October 2009 at 01:07 AM.
Old 20th October 2009, 01:45 AM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'm manually mounting them. My real concern is that a flash drive mounted as any file system should be mounted noatime to maximize it's life. The ideal solution would be for the automounter to set noatime for USB flash drives. devkit knows the difference between a USB HDD and a USB FD. Seems like the automounter should set atime/noatime based on the device type from devkit.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:13 PM
dd_wizard Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
After playing around with /etc/fstab, I came up with these entries for usb sticks.

Code:
/dev/disk/by-label/FEDORA	/media/FEDORA	vfat	defaults,user,noauto,noatime,nodiratime,utf8=1	0 0
/dev/disk/by-label/BACKUP	/media/BACKUP	vfat	defaults,user,noauto,noatime,nodiratime,utf8=1	0 0
Apparently, the auto-mounter pays attention to fstab entries. Using /dev/disk/by-label allows the stick to be inserted without worrying about which sd* device it might be. The only caveat is that the mount points must exist before the stick is inserted.

Thanks for the advice SJ.

Tags
gconf, system or storage