Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th October 2009, 02:50 PM
DoctorDoubleNot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs up How do I get VPN in VirtualBox through Fedora11 to work ???

I've got a problem with getting my VPN connection from my virtual machine working (a XP64 running in VirtualBox). I really need to get it working so that I can nuke my windows partition, and because I would like run linux programs while using my XP VPN connection (as I need to run some XP programs at school). I've found this manual on how to do it on Ubuntu, but I am doubt about how to translate it to Fedora (and I really prefer Fedora).

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtop...feee8c35dab3a0

Please help.

Thanks ...

P.S. I need to get it working through my wireless connection ...

Last edited by DoctorDoubleNot; 16th October 2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 16th October 2009, 12:56 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
It should just work. However, I'd recommend using host bridged networking, rather than NAT.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 16th October 2009, 01:15 AM
DoctorDoubleNot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs up

It works with bridged networking. I don't know why I haven't thought about that !!!

Thanks a lot ....

So now I can destroy my windows partition
Old 16th October 2009, 01:20 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
You're lucky actually. Back in the old days, about a year or two ago, bridged networking in VirtualBox wasn't simple. Now, as you know, it's just a click.

As for not thinking about it, been there, done that--It was also VPN in my case.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 16th October 2009, 02:52 AM
DoctorDoubleNot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Yeah, I feel really lucky that I now can delete my windows partitions for good ... I've got everything else to work with Linux and VirtualBox, but VPN was holding me back. But now I can do some really happy formatting ...

Thanks again ...
Old 16th October 2009, 03:50 AM
scottro Offline

linuxopera
What sort of VPN are they running? If it's Cisco, you can use VPNC. (If it's Nortel, I beileve there is also a client available, but it's around $100 USD.

Old 16th October 2009, 12:15 PM
DoctorDoubleNot Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Actually they use Cisco, but I only need the VPN for (my now virtual) windows, because some windows programs needs to check that the are genuine on a license server. Even if I could connect with VPNC, there will be no use for it ...

Thanks ...

Tags
fedora11, virtualbox, vpn, work