Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th October 2009, 11:59 AM
Darkedge Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Intel Video Card, Creation of certain things fail,

Before I say anything, I'm new to the forum! Be soft on the newbie! I run Ubuntu then Debian but both lacked speed, I have hope in Fedora, Best distro. I've seen! Keep up the good work!
P.S I'm not %100 new to Linux.

I asked this question on IRC got a less then straight answer, Anyway, I got told this was a problem with XOrg... So I tried doing a yum update xorg-common or whatever, Strange thing is, It said the download size was like 49k,
Anyway, Here's the actual problem, In some programs I get rendering errors and a heap of strange lines appear across the screen, (It usually happens while attempting to run Windows applications in WINE, However it sometimes happens in other applications) I can't send you a screen shot, It only comes out in lines... Anyway, Here's my Smolt Profile... http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pu...0-e558002c2c27

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Darkedge; 13th October 2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 13th October 2009, 12:25 PM
sgsvij Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
There can be two problems:

1. Intel Graphics driver in Fedora 11 has known bugs. There was a overhaul of that driver and it was screwed badly. My mplayer can't run Video properly, its quite unhappy.
2. WINE is known to have problems with many windows softwares. Was your software working fine with WINE in other distros? If yes, then item 1 above is probably your problem.

For a fix you can do the following:
1. Raise a bug report on Bugzilla and wait to get a fix.
2. Try out Fedora 10.
3. Wait for someone more experienced to reply to this post.

Regards,
Old 13th October 2009, 12:28 PM
Darkedge Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for the fast reply yep I just tested out the file browser, Which worked fine on Debian or Ubuntu, I'll try 1, I don't wanta downgrade, I honestly, Don't see a point. I'll also do 3, Thanks for the reply!
Old 13th October 2009, 12:41 PM
sgsvij Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Another thing you can try is to use Vesa graphics driver (to ensure that intel driver is the culprit). Although Vesa will not be a permanent solution for large (and new) monitors.

1. Create xorg.conf (with sudo etc or logging in as root) by Xorg -configure. Copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf
2. Change the graphics driver "intel" to "vesa" in that conf file. I dont remember the line where it will appear but I think you will find out. (In my system intel appears just once).

Regards
Old 13th October 2009, 09:13 PM
Darkedge Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thank you for all who helped, Anyway, I have fixed the problem... No more Plymouth though! I like that bootscreen.... Anyway, Thanks for trying, I read the wiki, Found the workaround! Except. Here lies another problem... The "Bootloader" app says I got two OS's Installed, I don't.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance...
Old 14th October 2009, 10:10 AM
sgsvij Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I take that you are now using nomodeset kernel and your flashy graphical boot is gone.
Did you change your grub.conf for adding nomodeset option?
Is grub telling you that you have 2 OSs installed?
Can you post the contents of your /boot/grub/grub.conf?

Regards

Tags
card, creation, fail, intel, things, video