Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd October 2004, 01:19 AM
Shadow Skill Offline

missing Kernel dev tools

Ok I'm trying to enable ntfs support by recompiling 2.6.8-1.590 and when I put my fc3 cd in I don't see the section for kernel development, so I am wondering how in the hell I'm supposed to recompile the kernel if I dont have the nessecary tools? Are they just included with the source code rpm's (Where do yum and Up2date put the relevant directories anyway?)

I'm really getting tired of the BS from the developers in regards to enabling ntfs read by default. As if Microsoft could really win a lawsuit that would boil down to "We want to own the consumers computer that HE or SHE has paid for with HIS or HER OWN damned money! How dare they use an OS other than Windows the CRIMINALS!"

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.
Old 3rd October 2004, 02:04 AM
BiOPSY Offline

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora2.html

Visit this site, I think you'll find with the NTFS module, you need not recompile your kernel.
The rpm's above should have the ntfs module and all you'll need to do is insmod ntfs
make sure you get the right RPM for your version of kernel.

Last edited by BiOPSY; 3rd October 2004 at 02:07 AM.
Old 3rd October 2004, 02:20 AM
BiOPSY Offline

Isn't FC3 a multi disk distro?

Surely the devtools are on one of your CD's.
Old 3rd October 2004, 02:35 AM
superbnerd

Just keep making your case to the developers. Perhaps you should write an essay about it and post it here so we can edit and add to it. Then we will submit it on behalf of the fedora community. It would also help if you get the admods to endorse it. They have some influence with the developers.
Old 4th October 2004, 05:00 AM
Shadow Skill Offline

Uhh I downloaded the dvd ISO so its only one disk, what maks this more confusing is that the packagemanager wants cd 1....

Please vote for this bug and help me make GAYT [Go As You Type ]a standard option in Firefox.

Tags
dev, kernel, missing, tools