Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th October 2009, 01:58 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
Car help

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about cars here. Mine isn't running right now - timing issues. Anyone know a site that will show me the timing spec for a 1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with a 350 CI V8?

A bit off topic I know...

Sorry...

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 6th October 2009, 02:07 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Like there's a topic limit in wibble?!? <....>

Quote:
You can usually start out about 8 degrees BTDC with no pinging. Increase 1 or 2 degrees at a time during normal operation until you hear pinging and then back off 2 degrees.
Old 6th October 2009, 02:16 AM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
Terry, I think for the most part a GM 350 is going to be generic. Timing can vary on older motors and with different states of tune anyway so once you get it in the ballpark of 10-12 BTDC you should be able to get it perfect by ear.

oops, didnt notice Dan added the qoute. Beat me this time. Yeah, good advice.

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 6th October 2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 6th October 2009, 02:27 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Kona, I know this is gonna sound a little weird, but if you've got the ear for it, the best way to set a daily driver's timing, (Detroit built normally aspirated V-8) is to get it close enough to get it started, then advance it in very small increments while listening to the exhaust from the rear of the car. If it's too far advanced, the rumble will sound like it's way up at the engine, if it's too retarded, the rumble/crackle will be right back at the tail end of the car.

So advance the timing until the grumble sounds like it's right about at the rear end of the transmission, and lock it down. That should get you set for daily use around sea-level. Of course, if you're getting pinging, back off the timing, and try to improve the engine cooling.
Old 6th October 2009, 03:33 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

linuxfedorafirefox
In the old days i used my ear to get it close and then a strobe light for fine/exact tunning (was very cheap to buy), but question is how did it get so far out that it doesnt go, or do you mean more setting the timing/cogs because of a new belt etc..
Old 6th October 2009, 03:35 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
It was running yesterday but today it will not turn over. It wants to but just will not go. We recently replaced the plugs and wires so that's the next thing we will check out after timing.

Old 6th October 2009, 03:44 AM
Dangermouse Offline
Administrator - (On Leave)

linuxfedorafirefox
In my opinion if it was running yesterday then the timing cannot get that far out so that it doesnt start unless you left a nut loose on the dist etc.. personally i would not mess around with the timing until it is running, id recheck the plugs and leads, sometimes you can get a faulty lead etc, and then check the rotary arm etc.. first.
Old 6th October 2009, 03:46 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
Will do soon. Charging the battery now. Thanks.

Old 6th October 2009, 06:58 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Wondering if you never took the whole distributor out, it may still be in good firing order. Does this car model has a pointer to replace inside the distributor, under its cap? Pointers are replaceable. If you have that Delco electronic distributor, its out of my league.

You hear it firing?
Old 6th October 2009, 07:01 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
It's that Delco Electronic stuff. I floored the gas the other day and the motor went into overdrive and I blew some carbon out of the tailpipe. Been doing that for years. My friend says I stretched the timing chain. How is that possible? It's a metal timing chain. Less than 2 years old and keep in mind I only drive this car 3 to 5 times a month on local errands.

What I need is a diagram that shows the top of the distributor so I can be assured that I have it wired correctly. Can someone point that out to me? I'm lost looking on Google.

I don't know what to listen for to hear something firing. This is beyond me. Now I'm wondering if I should just call the junkers to come get it or list it for sale. I don't have time for these things.

Last edited by kona0197; 6th October 2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 6th October 2009, 07:09 AM
Demz

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
sell it to the american navy, they might be able to build a new submarine from it
Old 6th October 2009, 07:18 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
That was less than helpful. Thanks.

Old 6th October 2009, 07:23 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Look at this one, despite its an older make.
http://www.oldsmobility.com/tuneup.htm
Old 6th October 2009, 08:14 AM
kona0197 Online
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
I can't imagine they would change it much. Will check in the morning after I take the air breather off. Next step is the see if I have a bad plug right? Best way to accomplish that? Pull the plug out still connected to the distributor and turn the engine over?

Old 6th October 2009, 08:31 AM
marcrblevins Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Don't leave the spark plug out, you would get shocked. Wear gloves, have one wire plug loose, near the tip of a spark plug, should see a spark. Don't touch the car while you are at it. Would be MUCH safer to use a timing light instead, the light comes on when spark hit that certain spark wire cable.

Since you bought new wires, you may want to start the car at night time, very dark and see of sparks are leaking everywhere, when infact you should see no sparks leaking from cap or wires.