Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd October 2004, 10:02 PM
07dcolem Offline

Thumbs up Desktop System... KDE or GNOME?

What are the pros and cons of the different Desktop Systems......I started with gnome and switched to KDE and I think I like KDE better........ Any thoughts...?
Old 2nd October 2004, 10:04 PM
ewdi Offline
Retired Admin

well, it's all go down to your personal needs and personal preferences.
I use KDE because i use a lot of QT liblary to code my applications. But i like gnome because i'm pretty familiar with it since i used it since 1.2

but again, we can go on and on about advantage and disadvantage. all comes down to your personal taste

Follow me at http://twitter.com/ewdi

Laptop : MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 4GB DDR, 20-inch iMac Aluminium/4GB RAM
Old 3rd October 2004, 01:29 AM
RedFedora Offline

Kde

I prefer KDE. Every version of Gnome I've used had something about it that irked me.
2.6 was (on my FC2 system) broken nearly beyond use. Also, the file section
and file browser features drive me nuts.
KDE, on the other hand, is (in my opinion) a solid, well intergrated desktop. Though
I have had sound problems in KDE.
Old 3rd October 2004, 01:46 AM
Paul_Vandenberg Offline

I like KDE because there is menu editing. I managed to fix it in FC2 by copying all files in /etc/xdg/menus to ~/.config/menus. Before I did that, I could only change existing menu items. Since I did the above copy, I can add and delete entries to menus in KDE. I tried menu editing for KDE in FC3 Test 2 and it seems to work great without any tweaking. Apparently, they are trying to get menu editing working in GNOME for 2.10. My personal opinion is that since GNOME has taken a more corporate focus, menu editing is not a high priority for them. In a corporate environment, these kind of things are ususally locked down anyway.

Paul
Old 3rd October 2004, 02:18 AM
DarkMasterMatt Offline

I prefer GNOME. I found KDE to be a bit complex and I never used any of it's more advanced features.
Old 3rd October 2004, 06:25 AM
vinu Offline

I prefer KDE to GNOME. Both have similar functionality.... which of the two you choose to use is a matter of personal choice. Enlightemnent WM is another windowmanager (WM) that is in a similar league as the other two.

If you have an older box that struggles to cope with KDE or GNOME, you could try FVWM or TWM.
Old 3rd October 2004, 05:30 PM
crackers Offline
Retired Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu
Enlightemnent WM is another windowmanager (WM) that is in a similar league as the other two.
E is in a league of it's own - talk about a lot of bells and whistles!!!

Nit-picking time! Gnome and KDE (the collectives), are complete UI environments that use X. Gnome uses metacity as it's window-manager, which KDE uses kwin. Enlightenment is a window-manager, trying to move into the complete UI category. So what's the difference? Well, a window-manager manages windows and how they behave/look. The UI is another level on top of that which also controls how the innards of the windows look and behave. It's kind of a subtle difference, but easily shown:

Run WindowMaker or another Gnome/KDE friendly window-manager. Run a KDE or Gnome application - it looks the same on the inside of the window as it would on Gnome or KDE. But the window itself looks different and can behave differently than it would under metacity or kwin.
Linux User #28251 (April '93)
Professional Java Geek :cool:
Old 15th March 2005, 05:42 PM
Panos Offline

Gnome all the way up. I don't not abandon KDE but i always preffered Gnome (since the 0.8)
Old 15th March 2005, 05:43 PM
desipher Offline

I prefer gnome
Anystream
bspadetti@anystream.com
www.anystream.com
Old 15th March 2005, 05:50 PM
hav0x Offline

Gnome here, didn't even install KDE ...
Old 15th March 2005, 06:21 PM
jim Offline
Retired Community Manager & Avid Drinker Of Suds

E17 (enlightenment) image (fedorajim_E17_desktop_image.png)
Gnome see attached image (fedoajimdsktpimg.png )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fedorajimdsktpimg.png
Views:	375
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	4618   Click image for larger version

Name:	fedorajim_E17_desktopimg.png
Views:	354
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	4619  
Registered Linux User: #376813
Western NY
My linux site
Smolt Profile

please remember to say if you problem was solved

Did you get your id10t award today?

Last edited by fedorajim; 15th March 2005 at 06:23 PM.
Old 25th April 2005, 10:26 PM
Raafi Offline

gnome here

(and i dont know why, probably because i started on it, and am used to it, and tired of any more changes until i know fedora better)
Old 25th April 2005, 11:04 PM
ianmac

KDE here, it's the desktop that was used to teach me Linux a long time ago. Tried Gnome but never could get used to the lack of some of my favourtie features in KDE. Personal taste, I guess.

Although, the new XFCE looks very nice. I think I'll give that a go this week.

Last edited by ianmac; 25th April 2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 25th April 2005, 11:10 PM
Sammy Offline

Started with KDE on Mandrake. Chose Gnome when I moved to FC3. Cant say which I like better. KDE looks cleaner. Gnome has fewer problems. Dunno why. But in the end the one what causes the least grief it the one I go with. KDE had some updates since I used it last... think I will give it a go again ;o)
Old 30th April 2005, 01:32 AM
Pudduh Offline

I like both but KDE kind of reminds me of Windows (which is why I retreat to Linux - to get away from Windows) but is very nice and slick and well made.

Gnome is very cool but what is really annoying is the fact that when the panels are set to autohide you can't properly maximise the window for love nor money! It really does annoy me.
Closed Thread