While I consider myself a novice, I have been installing and running a server using Red Hat/Fedore now for over 15 years. My current server is Fedora 9 and I am trying to build a new Fedora 11 server.
My problem appears to be something very basic in the way the server is handling connections inbound to it since the few tests I've done using the server itself appear to be working.
My goal is to have a server running several web sites, access using samba on the local network, and have VNCSERVER and SSH access. These are all working just fine on my fedora 9 server, so while I stumbled along getting everything to work on each upgrade, this is the first time I have been completely confused on where to even start.
None of my remote applications can access any servers on my Fedora 11 system.
-- From my windows machines the following clients fail
- TightVNC hangs with "Connection established"
- Putty hangs with a blank screen
- IE hangs with "waiting for connection" when trying to access web site
- Windows does not find the Fedora 11 system for samba shares.
--From the Fedora system the following is noted
- All updates have been applied without any problems
- firefox works fine looking at any web site, even the test site rinning on the Fedora 11 machine
- The VNC server has been configured using different tutorials and is running
- Apache is configured to display a simple one page test screen and works from localhost
- SAMBA is configured to have one user and share one directory and is running
- When looking at the network, it sees the workgroup, but no computers in the workgroup. It does fine itself outside of the workgroup but thinks it's on IP address 192.168.122.1
- SSH is running
In an attempt to figure out what is wrong, I have turned off the firewall and put SELinux into "permissive" mode. (I usually have to have SELinux in this mode on both machines)
Looking in the logs I see my remote system address in the httpd logs and see it looks like it was able to access the page. the error log is empty of any error, but if I intentionally generate an error like trying to display a non existant page I see the error in the error log "403" however the remote PC never sees any error, and the remote computer just hangs and times out.
It's like none of the Fedora services are able to respond out to anything on the network, but it is receiving the requests.
I suspect something wrong in my network setup, but everything looks just fine to me.
I have compared most settings to those I have on my Fedora 9 server, and they match up just fine.
The entire network is using the 192.168.x.x address range.
The Fedora 9 box is 192.168.1.64 and the Fedora 11 box is 192.168.1.65
Ping workis just fine from a remots system to 192.168.1.65, but nothing else works.
I use DYNDNS to us a domain name, so when building a new system I always just use the IP address and not do the final domain name for apache until I go live.
My usualy install and build steps are:
1 - Install Fedora
2 - establish network access
3 - update all applications and core with updates
4 - configure firewall to use SSH WEB Server, SAMBA
5 - Use remote SAMBA access to upload all the data files
at this point I usually do all the configurations of MySQL and upload the full web content from the live machine using one of my windows machine on my local network.
I'm stuck at step 5, but really find that I can't do anything like web, SSH, VNC, or SAMBA.
I don't know where to start looking because things look like they should work.
Any suggestions on how to approach this problem would be greatly appreciated. After seeing ping work, and knowing the Fedora 11 box itself can access the world just fine, other than see my local network and those computers, I'm stumped.
My live system is a dual core AMD and the new system I am building is running on a AMD 64 bit single core machine. It was running Fedora 9 as a backup system until I started this build. The install from the DVD went without any glitches. I would happly do it all over again if I thought it would solve the problem, but obviously I am missing something rather basic here. My assessment is that whatever is wrong is causing the problem with all of my services.
After three days of hitting my head against the wall I am asking for some help. I must not be able to see the trees for the forest.
My initial approach is trying to get SSH and Putty on windows to be able to login remotely. That has to be really a simple process. With the firewall disabled, I would think that would work right out of the box.