<---- template headericclude ----->
Fedora Core 2 Install problem with X.Org
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    ShugahHoople Guest

Fedora Core 2 Install problem with X.Org

Just today (5/21/04), I went about installing the CD version of Fedora Core 2 to my system. The system is a Dell Optiplex 260 with a Pentium 2.4 gig processor, 512 meg memory, 32 meg integrated Intel video, and a 30 gig harddrive.

Anaconda runs flawlessly, easily going through all the menus without fault or problem. The installation goes without a hitch, until after the first reboot. As the x.org server starts, it immediately shuts down and takes me to a screen stating that the GUI failed to run properly. It asked me to check the video log, fix the problem, and then reboot.

Unfortunately, this is seriously cutting into my enjoyment of Fedora Core 2 as the entire video output is archaic Greek to me! Currently, I'm using Knoppix 3.4 on the system to write this message. This system did have Fedora Core 1 as well as Red Hat 9 installed...

Has anyone run into the problem and/or know a fix as to get me up and running again? I much appreciate it!

fistre Guest
    Try removing the following line from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Load "dri"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by fistre
    Try removing the following line from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Load "dri"
    It seems I'm having the same problem. I just made an upgrade from FC1 to FC2. The installation went without problems for all the four CDs... anyway, after the reboot the GUI does not start at all... it says in the log "no screen found".

It also warns me that also my system it's using

/etc/X11/XF86Config as a configuration file for X... in fact, I checked and I did not find the file "xorg.conf" at all, inside /etc/X11

Any hint to fix the problem will be appreciated very much!

Thanks in advance,

Marco

superbnerd Guest

Xorg.conf

Please post you /etc/X11/Xorg.conf or XFreeconfig file.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, just found a workaround to the problem!

Following a suggestion on the forum of

http://www.fedoraitalia.org

I simply moved XF86Config to XF86Config.old. This was sufficient for the system to boot with X fully working. After that, I run "system-config-display" to refine configuration, and the tool wrote a file named xorg.conf...

Thanks anyway for your attenction!

Greetings,

Marco

yur1022 Guest

Regarding Load "dri"

Quite a few people including me have had some sort of display problem with FC2 (not FC1 nor EL3), especially with ATI video cards. Commenting out Load "dri" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf solved the problem at the cost of lower performance. I believe Fedora developers are aware of it and the problem will be fundamentally fixed in the near future.

Another issue. Still some script files in FC2 references /etc/X11/XF86Config. For instance, xinitrc-3.41-1 (which I got today) has Xsession that references XF86Config. So, I put a symbolic link:

su
    cd /etc/X11
    ln -s xorg.conf XF86Config

Hopefully, this would avoid potential troubles from referencing XF86Config in FC2, without causing any more.

yur

gvprasanna Guest
    I got the same error "No Screens found", and the following is what i did and is working for me:

1. rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to xorg.conf.old
    2. Run system-config-display utility and configure the screen resolution

and then it started X.

Thanks
    Prasanna

traveller Guest
    I got the same problem as you. I posted here and got help from javaguy78, james_in_denver and others. It really works. Please look at this link.

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48071