Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th September 2009, 11:51 AM
ankurpachauri Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
repair fedora without reinstalling it

hi all

i have fedora 10 installed on my system. few of the files get corrupted and system is not booting up. i want to repair it, but don't want to reinstall it, as i don't want to loose my data stored in linux partition.

thanx to all
Old 17th September 2009, 12:27 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hello ankurpachauri,

A common thing that stops booting is a busted GRUB boot loader after an update or tinkering in its config file. Another one is tinkering in /etc/fstab. So does either of those sound like a possible explanation? If not, then what were you doing or what happened immediately before this started occurring? Another thing that might help your readers is to know what exactly is happening when you try to boot? What do you see happening on the screen? How far does it get before it halts?
Old 17th September 2009, 12:41 PM
ankurpachauri Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
i was trying to connect two monitors with that system. the changes was made in Admin->Display->DualHead->

(check ) use dual head.
(configre) generate lcd display->lcd palnel 1280X1024 ok
then desktop layout-> spanning Desktops ok
then saving in Xserver

then the system doesn't boot on reboot

the other day i changed the resolution of screen and the the system stops booting only says resolution out of range

but that is not the query the query is how can i repair fedora by the fedora dvd using which all options so that whenever one or the other problem arise i need not to reinstall fedora again and again loosing all my data and packages

thanks
Old 17th September 2009, 12:57 PM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurpachauri

but that is not the query the query is how can i repair fedora by the fedora dvd
Well excuse me then. I apologize for the diversion and retreat. I hope you get it fixed.
Old 17th September 2009, 01:25 PM
LinuxTom Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Probably could use the recovery console from the dvd, boot to command prompt, chroot /mnt/sysimage, cd /etc/X11/, rm -fv xorg.conf, reboot

Pretty sure that would fix the problem you describe, assuming that all that is borked is the X configuration.
Old 17th January 2010, 12:25 AM
jcarva Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxTom View Post
Probably could use the recovery console from the dvd, boot to command prompt, chroot /mnt/sysimage, cd /etc/X11/, rm -fv xorg.conf, reboot

Pretty sure that would fix the problem you describe, assuming that all that is borked is the X configuration.
Hi LinuxTom, after two weeks of using Fedora 12 my boot gets as far as when the Fedora "white egg" gets filled and the Fedora logo appears, then blank (black) screen with cursor top left, no login splash

How exactly do I follow your instructions?

Last edited by jcarva; 17th January 2010 at 12:28 AM. Reason: added info

Tags
repair fedora 10