Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th September 2009, 06:14 AM
ernie_rm Offline

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Question Persistent USB space question

Hello everyone.

Let me first introduce myself, I am Ernie. I am a student from the Philippines who is interested to use Linux. I am actually a first-time Linux user. Despite some reviews claiming that Fedora is not for first-time Linux users, I chose Fedora mainly because of its boot-up speed, and KDE due to impressive screenshots.

I find Fedora very good. Unfortunately, I don't have my own system to install it in, nor an external hard disk so I had to settle for a 4GB flash drive I have. Using the liveusbcreator from Windows, I installed Fedora 11 x86_64 with KDE and set up my drive to have 3GB persistence.

Here now is my question.

I noticed on my first boot that the persistence layer has only 0.9 GB of free space. after performing an update, I only had 0.7GB free. This does not leave me room to install the applications I need (Java SE JDK and NetBeans bundle, Opera and Firefox, pidgin) and replacements for some included applications (OpenOffoice.org in lieu of KOffice, Amarok and vlc for kdemultimedia). I tried uninstalling some applications I do not need (filelight, akonadi) but it didn't help me with my problem.

Is there any way I can have more disk space on the same USB drive? What could be good applications to uninstall?

Thank you for any help you might give me on my situation.
Old 15th September 2009, 04:30 PM
beaker_ Offline

unknownunknown
I think you've got a catch22. Might wanto place linux on a virtual machine so you can create your own ISO (live cd). Modify the kickstart files to include additional repos and packages. That way everything's uptodate with all your software while your persistant overlay remains free and untouched.
Old 15th September 2009, 10:05 PM
ernie_rm Offline

windows_98_nt_2000safari
Thank you sir. I could use a little more help, if you don't mind. I'm still new to linux and fedora, and i still can't relate to terms i don't normally encounter in guides. sorry.

Tags
persistent, question, space, usb