Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th September 2009, 03:34 AM
dobrokh Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Trouble with upgrade F10->F11

When start upgrade: Find media storages->"Dirty file systems" message that point to root of my Fedora10 installation.
I check / partition (load F10-> touch /forcefsck -> reboot -> checking fs -> booting -> reboot -> Upgrade, and recieve "Dirty file systems" again.
I have /boot on / partition and I cannot upgrade F10->F11? /boot MUST be in separate partition for NORMAL upgrade procedure???
Can I turn off file systems check before upgrade? (some parameter(s) in ks.cfg?)
Old 14th September 2009, 03:48 AM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hello dobrokh,

I only know this, and it may or may not be related. Fedora 11's Anaconda creates an ext4 root partition by default. When you allow that to happen, Anaconda must also create a separate ext3 boot partition because of GRUB issues. Maybe that is at the bottom of your upgrade problem.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:38 AM
dobrokh Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I have ext2 in my root partition (by some reasons). "Clean" installation F11 allow setup into ext2 part.
Upgrade - NO???
Old 16th September 2009, 04:07 AM
dobrokh Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Problem is solved.
To suppress "Dirty file systems" I CONVERT ext2 to ext3.
That's all.
Why Fedora releasers disable ext2 partitions in installer?
Big "kick to the future"...
Old 16th September 2009, 01:14 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobrokh

"Clean" installation F11 allow setup into ext2 part.
Upgrade - NO???
Quote:

Why Fedora releasers disable ext2 partitions in installer?
I don't know the answer to that. Sorry. But I do know this... Upgrade installations of Fedora from previous versions is a gamble under perfect conditions. This forum is littered with posts serving as testimony to that. Perhaps trying to upgrade install Fedora 10 to Fedora 11 using only ext2 partitions is something the developers just didn't expect anybody to do, and it took you trying it to reveal that it may not work out so well. Anyway, I'm glad it ended well for you. You could have lost your valuable files. And I hope you leave this incident with a philosophical attitude. After all, what you tried to do is not exactly mainstream stuff IMO.
Old 19th September 2009, 04:03 PM
dobrokh Offline

windows_xp_2003safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoat View Post
Anyway, I'm glad it ended well for you. You could have lost your valuable files. And I hope you leave this incident with a philosophical attitude. After all, what you tried to do is not exactly mainstream stuff IMO.
Mainstream - is not for me
My jobs include too many variations. Previous Fedora release make me happy in practically full my tasks, but... I hope the new release make update procedure smaller (differ update) and make graphic in my frequently used plathorms (intel integrated graphic) faster and 3D-ster... Ooops...

OK! Let's belive in "goog".

I can NOT believe in "You could have lost your valuable files" - after research the problem, I find one small bug in installer UPGRADE procedure. There is default filesystem type for root filesystem of upgraded system - EXT3!!! And here is a two "dirty" flags: on filesystem self and on the journal for filesystem. On EXT2 in place of "dirty" flag of journal is some random information. Here is one bit only(!) -> 50% chance!

That's all!

PS I don't known how I can to close this thread.
Old 19th September 2009, 04:55 PM
stoat Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Quote:

PS I don't known how I can to close this thread.
I know how.
Closed Thread

Tags
dirty file systems