Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th September 2009, 05:35 AM
Ehtyar Offline

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Evolution-MAPI w/ Exchange 2007

Hi all,

We're using Exchange 2007 and are trying to get Evolution to work with it. We're using F11 and have run 'yum install openchange evolution-mapi'.

When presented with the account creation screen (similar to this) we are providing the URL used with Outlook (under Outlook Anywhere, Connect to Microsoft Exchange via HTTP) and Entourage when off the network for the 'server' field, and the appropriate username and domain.

We consistently receive logon failures, despite trying several URL variations (domain only, https://domain, https://domain/exchange/emailaddress etc). We tried using the server designated in the homeMTA attribute in our AD, but it specifies an internal server which is inaccessible from outside our network.

I'd like to ask the forum what needs to be enabled on our server in order to evolution-mapi to work with it, and if any specific URL is required other than https://domain. Access to any debugging info or logs produced by the MAPI extension would also be great. Any other suggestions or hints are very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ehtyar.
Old 9th September 2009, 04:32 AM
Ehtyar Offline

windows_vistafirefox
I've since determined that Outlook Anywhere uses RPC over HTTP, and not MAPI as I had first thought, thus Evolution-MAPI will not work with servers supporting only Outlook Anywhere. Trust MS to encourage the use of the only protocol not supported by any 3rd party vendor...

Ehtyar.
Old 24th February 2010, 06:55 AM
cafetono Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Is there no LINUX programmer talented enough to break the Exchange 7 - Windows stranglehold on mail? I used to love using Thunderbird but haven't been able to connect to my school's mail server since they "upgraded" to exchange 2007 and the powers that be are not willing to make changes to support the few Linux users on campus.
Old 21st July 2010, 06:02 PM
JulesR Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Smile Re: Evolution-MAPI w/ Exchange 2007

Davmail works like a dream:

http://davmail.sourceforge.net/
Old 29th January 2011, 10:46 PM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Evolution-MAPI w/ Exchange 2007

I can vouch for davmail too, I just grabbed the latest one (3.8.8) from davmail.sourceforge.net and found it fixed the last problem that kept me from using it (no alarms working in the calendar). Now I don't have to use Outlook web access anymore at work to see my calendar from Fedora.
Old 5th February 2011, 02:57 AM
louisvd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I can vouch for davmail too, I just grabbed the latest one (3.8.8) from davmail.sourceforge.net and found it fixed the last problem that kept me from using it (no alarms working in the calendar). Now I don't have to use Outlook web access anymore at work to see my calendar from Fedora.
So what do you use to view your calendar, and HOW?

I have used Evolution with "evolution-excahnge" package until now, but our company has migrated to Exchnge 2010, thereby rendering Evolution useless to me as I am usually offsite, and so cannot use the MAPI connector.

I have downloaded and started davmail, but don't know where to go from there.

Thanks!!
Old 7th February 2011, 12:56 AM
fwelland Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

davMail does exchange calendaring OK. It does so by scraping OWA calendar stuff and turning it into CalDAV. Basically DAVMail works by scraping/converting OWA into more standard compliant protocols (imap, pop, ldap, calDAV).

Really all you need is OWA working. FWIW: exchange 2010 maybe deprecating OWA -- but there seems to be some sort of new exchange web service thing that davMail has support for....

I've swapped 'help threads' on source forge with the developer -- he seems really responsive.

Overall, davMail, for me, has had more reliable and broader exchange support than evolution "exchange" (also owa based) and evolution MAPI.
Old 7th February 2011, 02:11 AM
louisvd Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

OK, but I want to know HOW you did it?

I get that you start DavMail and point it to your Exchange Server's OWA URL. But then what?

Are you still using Evolution? If so, how did you set up Evolution? I mean, I can't use the Evolution Exchange connector anymore, so ....

Or are you using another client completely?

Thanks for the help -- I hate sounding like a n00b, but we can't all know everything!
Old 7th February 2011, 04:43 AM
fwelland Offline

linuxsafari

Still using evolution.

After you configure & start davmail, you make a new account in evo. assume you turned on imap in davmail, then in evo configure an imap account and configure the imap server to where ever you have davmail running (usually localhost but you can run davmail remotely, too). . . Then check your mail. Use your owa password & user when evo asks you for it. . .

The process is similar for address book and calendar. . .

Basically davmail is a proxy between non mapi email clients & exchange. Davmail uses owa and converts owa to/from other mail, calendaring, or address book protocols...

I followed most of the davmail thunder bird instructions and just applied them to evo.

Last edited by fwelland; 7th February 2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: left out stuff
Old 7th February 2011, 05:00 AM
marko Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I use davmail with mozilla Sunbird at work.

I have a KDE start davmail and then a short time (5 seconds) later it starts Sunbird. I do that with a plain perl script.

I don't remember the URL I use but it's something like

http://localhost:1080/user/First.Last@domain/calendar

(note, that First.Last@domain part is different depending on your exchange email address, you'd set that to
whatever yours is like)

that's the url format I put in Sunbird. Davmail is pointing to the OWA URL on the Exchange server,
that's something like https://mailserver/exchange

Last edited by marko; 7th February 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 7th February 2011, 03:32 PM
fwelland Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Now that I am at work, I can give some better info.

On main tab of DavMail's set up: I have turned on IMAP, SMTP, CALDAV HTTP and LDAP & specified ports.

As per my early post, I just create an IMAP account and 'point to' this IMAP server, which for me is just localhostort.

Also in evolution while setting up the IMAP account, in the sending email; i specified the SMTP server as the one provided by DAVMail (again local host) . I have no encryption turned on and do have 'requires authentication' on and 'plain' type and use my domain/exchange credentials..... Like with IMAP, the first time you send, EVO will ask for your password.

Address book & Contacts (NOTE this took some trial and error to get it the way I wanted): I went to that screen in Evo, and created a new address book of type ldap. Again DAVMail is the ldap server. I marked as default; i have auto-complete on; I have 'using dn' and my domain/exchange name for the login (under authentication). My secure connection says SSL (which doesn't make sense to me as I have ssl off in davmail....). In the details tab I have search base as "ou=people" . <-- that took some trial and error. I vaguely recall using rdc to go to a real windows box and using outlook to browse my address book and look at contact details; and I saw this as a component of all my contacts DN....and just kinda guessed.

for calendar stuff: again in evo I went to calendar and create a new one and marked it default. I made it type CALDav and used a caldav url pointing to my DAVMail server like: caldav://my.localhost.com:1080/ the user name is my domain/exchange user name and I think I did 'browse' and selected my calendar. My URL now reads like this:

caldav://my.localhost.com:1080/users/me@my.place.com/calendar/ I recall the calendar setup took some time and trial and error too.

And....one last thing.....for me, my OWA or something was setting some mime-type for attachments to a value that DAVMail (actually the mail lib that DAVMail uses) to a value that it didn't like. Assuming you are using 3.8.8-1608 of DAVMail you can edit the davamail.sh file to be like below to make this problem go-a-way (only bold stuff is added).

# Ubuntu setup instructions :
# install java :
# sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin
# launch davmail :
BASE=`dirname $0`
for i in $BASE/lib/*; do export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$i; done
java -Dmail.mime.ignoreunknownencoding=true -cp $BASE/davmail.jar:$CLASSPATH davmail.DavGateway $1

Tags
evolution, exchange