Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th September 2009, 02:00 PM
sinistar_ice Offline

windows_vistafirefox
F11 HD3870 X2 showing not supported.

Ok followed the the guide here:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=155503

everything went fine the ATI site shows my card as supported rebooted the system and get a overlay box in the bottom right hand corner saying hardware not supported.

I opened the ATI Catalyst control panel and it see's my card with the 2 monitors attached but then it locked up now it locks up as soon as i login.

Anyone able to help me with this.

Oh as above i have a Radeon HD 3870 X2 1gig.
Old 6th September 2009, 04:27 PM
gauchao Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Well, until now, I have only been able to use my ATI 3870x2 with the radeonhd open driver using only 2D acceleration and no 3D acceleration at all. (F11 - x86_64)

$ glxinfo | grep render
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer

$ lspci | grep VGA
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc R680 [Radeon HD 3870 x2]

Everytime I try the Catalyst driver, or even the fglrx driver, they fail and freeze X. I gave up, since I don't use it to play 3D games, however it is like owning a Ferrari with a Cinquecento engine... I can't even use 3D effects on my desktop.
Old 6th September 2009, 06:52 PM
sinistar_ice Offline

windows_vistafirefox
I'm not so bothered about getting 3D to work it's more so that i cant' get KDE4.3 to span the dual display and i don't like using gnome which i can span no problem. So thought i'd try the catalyst drivers to get it working.

I've been using linux as a desktop for a few years but i'm not too clued up on the manual editing of things lol usually if i run into any problems the answers are already on here.
Old 11th September 2009, 01:36 AM
KaiTheory Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Radeon = poop for me too!

A colleague of mine (that I foolishly allowed root access to) made the mistake of using the driver/installer on the ATI site. After rebooting, X wouldn't load and the monitor went black *gasp*. I too followed the howto by Leigh

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...i+radeon+howto

and I'll be damned if it didn't get X to come back to life. However, like those above, my system froze within the first minute each time I booted up (usually after opening Firefox but ultimately even moving the mouse around on an empty desktop would do the same). I'm fed up. I was forced to re-install F11 because the endless forum searching only to result in the same frozen box was just getting to be too much. What sort of default drivers is a fresh install using and why couldn't I have resorted back to those when all else failed?

Tags
f11, hd3870, showing, supported