Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd September 2009, 02:41 PM
EasyTarget Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thumbs down very irritating 'mouse battery low' popups in F11 gnome..

I have a logitec cordless mouse on my system, not rechargable, it uses normal AA batteries which last about a year for me. It is a perfectly good and functional mouse which I have owned for years.

So, the batteries are getting low, doesn't worry me, there is at least 6 weeks worth of use left in them.

It worries Gnome; immensely.

In fact, Gnome is so concerned about this impending crisis that it keeps popping up a box saying 'Mouse batteries at 14.6%! The sky is falling in!! panic now.' (or similar), this notification box is not timed, and overlays other data, it must be clicked away.

Once clicked away it will return, saying exactly the same thing, in the same manner, every 30 minutes or so.

After a week of this I am getting very hacked off.

I realise that the mouse detection circuitry is 'wandering' as the batteries discharge and my usage varies, so it is repeatedly reporting a low power condition transition. But this is hardly unexpected behaviour, and it needs to be correctly handled by the UI.

1) Gnome is therefore failing to apply correct heuristics to ensure the user only get warned once as the batteries slowly pass these 'notification points'.
2) Adding a 'Do not warn me again' button would help.
3) Making this a 'timed' notification dialogue would reduce the irritation considerably.

I have seen this post, and I'll give the gconf2 setting suggested there a go once I'm at home, but frankly do not hold out much hope.

PS: An additional point:
14.6%
Wtf! like the cheapie circuits in mice are really going to be accurate to <1%, yeah, right.

Any ideas? is this deserving of a bug report, if so where to, Fedora / Gnome / Freedesktop.org ?

Tags
mouse notification