Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 29th August 2009, 02:59 AM
Galvin Tjime Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
High RAM Capacity Motherboard / Linux-Friendly Hardware

Hello,

I recently began to look for a new desktop machine (ever since my old computer's hard drive died and took out an IDE channel with it) and, finally, after nearly two years of toying around with Fedora and Gentoo, I have finally come to use Linux as my primary operating system. I want the machine to work as a data/email server and I want it to be able to run a multidude of Virtual Machines (I have tried to run both Windows and a/a few linux distros in VMs at the same time....needless to say on a machine with 3 GB of RAM and a 1.7 GHz Dual Core it doesn't work) so I would like to have a nice Quad-Core machine with a LOT of RAM.

I am also looking in to finding a lot of linux friendly hardware, specifically:

1. A newer, higher end graphics card (capable of running some newer games but mainly for processing multiple VMs; preferably with HDMI output)

2. A second network card for a redundant ethernet/fibre connection

3. A sound card capable of handling 7.1 Surround Sound output

If you wouldn't mind helping me out, I would be most appreciative.
Old 29th August 2009, 04:00 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
Whatever you get I would suggest sticking to an AMD CPU. Better bang for the buck.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 29th August 2009, 04:39 AM
Demz

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvin Tjime View Post
Hello,

I recently began to look for a new desktop machine (ever since my old computer's hard drive died and took out an IDE channel with it) and, finally, after nearly two years of toying around with Fedora and Gentoo, I have finally come to use Linux as my primary operating system. I want the machine to work as a data/email server and I want it to be able to run a multidude of Virtual Machines (I have tried to run both Windows and a/a few linux distros in VMs at the same time....needless to say on a machine with 3 GB of RAM and a 1.7 GHz Dual Core it doesn't work) so I would like to have a nice Quad-Core machine with a LOT of RAM.

I am also looking in to finding a lot of linux friendly hardware, specifically:

1. A newer, higher end graphics card (capable of running some newer games but mainly for processing multiple VMs; preferably with HDMI output)

2. A second network card for a redundant ethernet/fibre connection

3. A sound card capable of handling 7.1 Surround Sound output

If you wouldn't mind helping me out, I would be most appreciative.
are you a power user? do you need an intel?

you dont need much Ram, what exactly are you running or going to be running to need a lot of Ram?
4 to 6 Gigs Ram is enough i think.

what Graphics card do you use now? Nvidia have the best linux support, though iu dunno if they support there most recently released cards.

Soundcard, how much do you wanan spend on a soundcard?
Old 29th August 2009, 05:47 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
All of these boards take the high end AMD processors and up to 16 GB of RAM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...%20Athlon%20X2

Old 29th August 2009, 05:56 PM
Galvin Tjime Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Demz says:

are you a power user? do you need an intel?

you dont need much Ram, what exactly are you running or going to be running to need a lot of Ram?
4 to 6 Gigs Ram is enough i think.

what Graphics card do you use now? Nvidia have the best linux support, though iu dunno if they support there most recently released cards.

Soundcard, how much do you wanan spend on a soundcard?

No, I have used AMD and Intel before and find both to be (basically) equivalent with AMD being cheaper just as Kona0197 mentioned. Also, I don't overclock my hardware so I would prefer something that's fast right out of the box.

I run a LOT of virtual machines and have quite easily run into problems before with running out of RAM, even with 4 GBs.

My laptop, which is my computer at this point in time, uses an Intel 945M Chipset with 128 MBs shared memory. My desktop used to use an ATI Radeon 9600 SE until it died, so anything newer than that would be most excellent.

I am willing to spend about $200 on a Graphics Card and around $100 on a Sound Card. Oh, also, with the sound card I would prefer to have a digital audio out port to hook into my TV (I plan on using this machine as an entertainment unit when I'm home and in the mood to do something like that).
Old 29th August 2009, 10:55 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128392
Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125271
Sound Card w/ Digital Out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829102019
8 GB Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145262
Quad Core AMD Processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103650

Your looking at about $800 when you include the case, Hard Drive and DVD Burner...

Old 30th August 2009, 02:40 PM
Galvin Tjime Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Hey, thanks Kona! It all looks good and, surprisingly, within my budget.
Old 30th August 2009, 05:16 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
No worries! Don't forget to add a case, power supply, hard drive and DVD burner.