Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th August 2009, 05:51 PM
jacke Offline

windows_xp_2003netscape
Fedora 11 only installs from 1st CD in text mode

Hi,

I tried installing Fedora 11 on my i386 using the 6 CD set that I downloaded. Since my system has only 128M of RAM, the text install mode was used. The 1st CD installation seemed to work OK. After 181 out of 181 packages were installed, the system rebooted and did not ask for me to insert the other CDs. now when my system comes up, it is always in text mode.

Q. Is there a command I can use to have the remaining CD's installed so I can install the graphics system?

Thanks!
Jack
Old 27th August 2009, 11:01 PM
jacke Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Hi,

Maybe the text mode installation is broke for Fedora 11??? The installation instructions stated you could install in text mode and then run in graphics mode after the installation is complete.

Q. does anyone know how to launch the graphics system from the shell?

Thanks,
Jack
Old 27th August 2009, 11:59 PM
jacke Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
I'm installing Fedora on a computer with more RAM so it uses the graphics. The graphics installation allows you to select various packages to install while the text installation does not give you that option.
Looks like that's the bug with the Text mode installation for Fedora 11.

Jack
Old 28th August 2009, 12:22 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacke

Looks like that's the bug with the Text mode installation for Fedora 11.
As the old saying goes, "It's not a bug, it's a feature". But seriously this time. See for yourself...

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anacon...lified_Text_UI
Old 28th August 2009, 12:26 AM
sidebrnz Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
OK, you have two different questions here, and I'm going to answer both. First, anaconda (the Fedora installer) only asks for those CDs it needs. It's possible that all the packages it needed were on the first CD, so don't worry about it. The reason you're in text mode now is that anaconda always sets the system to start in the same mode it worked in, BTW.

Second, once you're logged in you can use startx to go to the GUI, but thatt's mostly just to make sure it works. Once you're sure that's working, you can use whatever editor you want to open /etc/inittab, but you'll have to do it as root. Assuming you're in text mode, logged in as yourself and aren't familiar with any of the Linux text editors, I'd suggest this:

su -c 'nano /etc/inittab'

You'll be prompted for the root password here, and once you've given it, the file will come up in a simple text editor that doesn't understand the mouse. At the bottom, you'll see this line:

id:3:initdefault:

Change the 3 to 5. Use ^O (That's the same as CTRL-O) to write the file, accepting the same name, then ^X to Exit. Reboot and you should come up to a GUI.
Registered Linux user #470359 and permanently recovered BOFH.

Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 28th August 2009, 12:45 AM
stoat Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I realize that this doesn't really matter any more since you've installed another way. But to add to what sidebrnz just said, if Anaconda installed only 181 packages during your text mode installation as you said, I'm fairly certain that the X Window System and a desktop environment were not installed. You may need to install those before what he said will land you at a graphic desktop. I think this because I do minimal installs like you described on purpose and build them up from scratch with yum for lightweight systems and to avoid the giant system update that is always waiting for me after a full installation from the DVD. When I did my last Fedora 11 installation with the graphic Anaconda but with all packages and groups unselected, Anaconda installed 184 packages. I then had to install the X Window System group and a desktop environment. My memory tells me that when I add just the X Window System and XFCE groups to my minimal system, it adds 300-400 packages just for those two groups. So those 181 packages of yours was an extremely minimal installation, and I would bet it had no capability for a graphic desktop as initially installed.

Last edited by stoat; 28th August 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old 28th August 2009, 01:01 AM
jacke Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Thanks stoat and sidebrnz!!!

Thanks for the quick response. I upgraded the H/W to a recent machine and the installation is going much better. It's also good to know about the Text mode only option as I may be using the text minimal installation on some embedded or low cost machines.

Thanks much,
Jack
Old 28th August 2009, 01:05 AM
jacke Offline

windows_xp_2003ie
Also, I did try startx and that didn't work. Interestingly, 'man' did not work either. Other Linux commands worked ok.

Tags
1st, fedora, installs, mode, text