Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th August 2009, 12:11 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question

Ahh just to add another dilemma.

Its an old VIA Technologies motherboard.

Comes up with:
Quote:
VIA Tech, Inc. VT82C686 [APOLLO Super ACPI]

VIA Tech, Inc. VT82C686 [APOLLO Super South]
The hwbrowser does anyhow, the memory clock speed on BOIS as I remember is 133Mhz is there anywhere I can get old RAM from?

Or at least look at what would be compatible?

I am using hardinfo app and making a html report now. I will copy in the full results for you, not sure if its just the memory is corrupted as its only actually taking up 141mb.

I will follow with the generated report, thanks.

Try this out:

http://www.hsmedia.co.uk/linux_info/

I was thinking actually wouldnt it be better going for a budget range computer I have found a few within my price range of no more than £100 whats your advice with that?

Last edited by j.smith1981; 28th August 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 28th August 2009, 02:22 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I think someones telling me just to use the shell now, I dont want to go messing around with anymore GUIs thats half the battle anyways working out configurations its not done anything more than confuse me using GUIs i have relavant software I suppose on my Desktop (dual core might I add) on my desk.

The linux box being in another room so, ideal setup really and just use that for doing server admin tasks least Im able now to use the commandline effectively, removed all the software I didnt need, had a deep look at the existing root account, made my own user effectively the overall boss of my computer (so I dont have a root account anymore) then reinstated a clean root account getting rid of all the old configs, thought I would have a somewhat clear out of its account and will do the same with my unpriviledged user name.

Good idea eh?

Was thinking of maybe eventually when I decide to upgrade my current workable system (which I am adding 2 more Gbs of data), due to me doing multimedia based projects, as its mostly memory intensive, I need about 4Gb to effectively work with 3d studio max (educational version I got when I was at University), I will use that system and do a whole new computer made by me so I can get around this problem effectively.

Last edited by j.smith1981; 28th August 2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 28th August 2009, 10:45 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Hello j.smith1981

Quote:
The hwbrowser does anyhow, the memory clock speed on BOIS as I remember is 133Mhz is there anywhere I can get old RAM from?
Depends on how much you want and what size, which will depend on how many slots you have in the motherboard?

I usually look on e-bay myself.

However, if you have any trouble finding what you want, I have a pair of 256MB modules here gathering dust that you could have for the price of the postage.
Old 3rd September 2009, 12:12 AM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question

Hmm I'd have to check for the computes motherboard and i'll post somewhere to find the actual details of the RAM.

I am really up on that at the moment its just trying to determine an old systems full specs thats going to be the problem.

Do you take paypal btw?

Could have a go at least.

I'd have to look at the existing chips should give some information about that or look on the motherboard but that wont be for 2 weeks I wouldnt have thought got allot on this weekend, unless I peak at it on Sunday but not sure if I will get the time.

Thanks though for suggesting, thats ace!

Thanks,
Jez.
Old 3rd September 2009, 03:06 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
I think bob said it best. Clean the inside of your pc thoroughly. I had several occasions where just a total cleaning fixed my problem. If you have two banks of ram. Take them out clean the gold connectors with an eraser and put them back in switched. Ram1 into slot 2, ram2 into slot 1. Sometimes if the cleaning doesn't fix it , you may see different results telling you one is bad.

Also just re-seating the cpu, and video chips may help.
Old 3rd September 2009, 10:27 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Hello j.smith1981

The memory will be here if you need it. I'll be going away for a week at the weekend so I'll see if you've found out after that.

Tags
completely, fedora, hacked, sick