Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th August 2009, 04:44 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thumbs down Sick of Fedora 11 Completely Hacked off now

I am sick to the back teeth of fedora 11!

Every time I try and run yum for any install at all it just keeps saying segment fault.

When I have tried installing mysql it keeps coming up with the same fault yet again segment fault.

I even get this stupid error when trying to install postgresql:

Quote:
not found
error: error(-30986) getting "" records from Requireversion index
error: db4 error(-30986) from dbcursor->c_get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found
Installed:
libdbi-dbd-pgsql.i586 0:0.8.3-4.fc11 perl-DBD-Pg.i586 0:2.13.1-1.fc11
postgresql.i586 0:8.3.7-1.fc11 postgresql-python.i586 0:8.3.7-1.fc11
postgresql-server.i586 0:8.3.7-1.fc11 rhdb-utils.i586 0:8.3.0-2.fc11
unixODBC.i586 0:2.2.14-2.fc11
I am now therefore sick of it and im going back to a more stable version of fedora 10, its just makes no sense at all.

Its got nothing to do with my connection at all keeps happening at home, work when I use my vmWare server, I have a netinstall of FC10 so I am going back to that.

If anyone can help me in using a better method of making yum work, then thats brilliant but one final try and one error I am going back, this is a major rant as I am working for clients now and this just isnt suitable, if FC10 does this then I am going to a different dist like CentOS or something more robust as this is just rediculous!
Old 27th August 2009, 04:50 PM
jpollard Online

linuxfedorafirefox
Have you tested your memory recently?

The last time I saw something like that I had a borderline memory chip installed.
Random seg faults and all.

I "fixed" it by reducing my memory clock rate, and things just worked.
Old 27th August 2009, 04:54 PM
ppesci Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sound to me that the data base engine / data in rpm system is corrupted.

try --rebuilddb option in rpm to see if that solves your problem. Check the rpm man pages for more info.

HTH

PowerBook 15" G4 and
MacBook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo
Intel I5 Desktop
Old 27th August 2009, 04:56 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thumbs up

Thats a very good point actually.

What would be the best method for doing that?

Sorry I am not that good with sorting this stuff out would be a very good learning curve for me might actually learn something haha.

Least I have an idea now of what is wrong.

Its an old computer I got donated to me for helping a charity organisation out, thought I'd use it as some sort of server I can just test ideas out on and having done Fedora tasks at University I thought heck why not you know?

But as for the hardware of the machine I dont quite know exactly what is in there, I have only upgraded the Harddrive of it and that works, cant actually remember its capacity but its bigger than it was its an old Athlon with 1Ghz CPU but thats as far as I know about 256mb of RAM (not much so probably asking it to do too much), but I guessed that installing FC11 would run like FC10 you know?

Last edited by j.smith1981; 27th August 2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 27th August 2009, 05:01 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppesci View Post
Sound to me that the data base engine / data in rpm system is corrupted.

try --rebuilddb option in rpm to see if that solves your problem. Check the rpm man pages for more info.

HTH
I have done that countless times now and nothings working what so ever, this never happened to me running FC10 thats why I think its a memory issue or something.
Old 27th August 2009, 05:07 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
If you can install hwbrowser, you can check on your specs. However, with minimal ram and an old machine, I'd really think that a light-weight distro is what you would be happy with.

As to testing ram, "memtest86" is the method.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 27th August 2009, 05:26 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Yea I have done a dreaded yum search its like praying now for it not to make a segment fault, it only happens though after some long yum install of software so I am seeing a pattern emerge here (excusing spelling of course, but thats never been my strong point ).

I will run this and get back to you, is there anyway of maybe fudging this slightly like making FC11 work or something?

Any advice but now I know somewhat of where my system is going wrong, might once I attempt an install of FC10 if that works even, try getting this working and getting a new system well maybe an old system by todays market and getting an older spec computer for maybe £300, I am hoping to get a website done that will hopefully pay for that then I dont have to pay tax on it as I will claim on that for my job haha!!
Old 27th August 2009, 05:32 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
I second Bob's opinion that a lighter distro is the way to go. If your machine is still functional (provided you dont have bad RAM) then why not use it as long as possible. Trading Gnome in for Xfce in F11 might even buy you the memory you need. Fluxbox would be ideal but I understand why so many are reluctant to use it. It does take some learning and things are not automatic. Still, after a week or two you would find that you really dont miss a full DE.
Old 27th August 2009, 05:42 PM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Question

So it could be the GUI you mean?

I am running Gnome in FC10 goes to the shell and doesnt run the x system server when I reboot, installed it in graphical mode, cant remember if it caused any errors but I bet tonight I'll find out.

Tell you what I will attempt, a download of the CD iso's since I dont have a DVD drive for the system, I will install the bare min for FC11 and just install using yum for groups and see if that helps.

I will try XFCE or whatever its called if that doesnt work.

(After reinstalling FC11 to make sure I have a clean system to go off).

I will check the spec though before doing all this just to get an idea for what I am working with, see whats compatible and whats not, so a clock speed change might be the thing to go yes?

I mean I have looked at other posts but may slow down my system its not overheating though as old computers like that dont tend to have any hardware that would cause that, I have checked the bios pc health status thing and its always running at a suitable temp like 30c or something which is quite healthy, its more of my working on computer as such has that problem (why I never leave it on for long periods of time).

Any further help would be lovely?

Kind regards,
Jeremy.

PS I hate this stuff though working out whats wrong with it arragghh lol suppose its one of those things though.
Old 27th August 2009, 06:52 PM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox
If you haven't already done so, open your case and carefully clean around all the components, especially fans. You can download and burn memtest86 from here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html and run it overnight on your machine to test the ram.

As to downloading just the minimum, that's not going to make much difference. If a package is installed, but not running, it's not using your resources. It's the running packages that create the bog-down. Xfce is less of a strain than Gnome or KDE, but fluxbox, icewm and blackbox are smaller yet. It won't hurt to install them too and try them out.

Naturally, you should also check to see if you're nearing capacity on your hard drives. It's been a long time since we've had to worry about the size of the remaining drive, but with an older machine, that could still be a problem.

And then too, give Puppy linux a try. It can be run from a CD or pen drive. If that's working perfectly and Fedora's not, then there are plenty of light-weight distros that might be better for your machine.

Old 27th August 2009, 09:00 PM
kdchapman1776 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
FWIW, I upgraded from Fedora 9 to Fedora 11. After installing everything seemed fine until I started copying my home directory back. F11 started giving me random segfaults. F9 ran great and F11 ran like crap. I thought a clean reinstall may help things out because maybe something in my home directory was corrupt. When I tried to reinstall I did not get the GUI installer...I got Text mode. I rebooted again to get the GUI installer and nothing worked.

In the end, my ram went bad. I would definitely test it like mentioned earlier in the post and if "bad" remove and reseat it. Hopefully this helps some. F11 is still slightly quirky for me but overall I like it.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:43 AM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Ahh I know what it was after a deep look at my system.

Somethings were not set properly in BIOS why on earth it was set like that I obviously loaded the optimised defaults after some reaction from me haha.

But its like it was trying to run through 64mb only checked against forums last night and it seems to be reacting nicely at the moment will come back if its not.

But thank you ever so much for your help though as always much appreciated!

Makes sense now lol.

BTW Is there any sites you'd recommend me to once I have found out what type of system I have got, to where I can purchase RAM thats not sold anymore on the market?

Just in advance should it be a memory problem, by looking at the specs last night, it would seem I would need more RAM at least 512 I would have thought but I will of course get the full specs of my system before purchasing (ie the motherboard manufacturer and the capabilities of this).

Again thanks,
Jeremy.

Last edited by j.smith1981; 28th August 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 28th August 2009, 09:54 AM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I mean I have used groupinstall 3 times now and it would have definately failed before hand now due to the BIOS problem, I have install BIND 9, Dev tools and dev libraries and it would have originally failed previously, changed the /etc/inittab file for 3 on full multiuser mode and it seems to be working correctly.

I did set inittab to 3 previously but I hadnt sorted out BIOS, just think the main culprit must be BIOS for some reason so I sorted that out last night as I mentioned above and its not working correctly, will put up a post.

Again many thanks but thought you guys would deserve an update and many thanks yet again,
Jeremy.

Those points though are definately worth considering though.
Old 28th August 2009, 11:37 AM
bob Online

linuxfedorafirefox
You can check out availability of ram here: http://www.pricewatch.com/system_memory/ Be sure to check the feedback reports and the company here: http://www.resellerratings.com/ Also, one of the key suppliers is http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx which has a tool to scan your system. Handy!

Old 28th August 2009, 11:43 AM
j.smith1981 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thumbs up

Grr its the RAM it makes me think now its happened again will check on that thanks for that.

See if their still selling it they should be I think.

If I can get it ordered now it might get delivered by Crucial (the memory supplier I used just brought a lovely 4Gb for my work computer), the computer I use to remote from, to my Linux server I am trying to get working allot better.

I'll see how much I can put in by Crucial and work out the motherboard type and stuff, then work out how far I can push it without breaking it for a change lol.

Tags
completely, fedora, hacked, sick