Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th August 2009, 05:22 PM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Difference between Live vs. Install Media

What's the difference between the "Live" media, and the "Install" media? I'm not having any luck with the Fedora 11 Live media, so I thought I'd try the "Install" media instead. Where do I go to download that? And what's the difference between the two?
Old 25th August 2009, 05:37 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
The Live CD has an installer built in, however it's only available using ext4, which requires an extra /boot partition (which is ext3). It's used to evaluate how well Fedora's likely to work with your hardware and for you to get the 'feel' of Fedora. The Install CD set is 6 CD's, I believe, and DVD are designed strictly for installation. Both can be installed as LVM, ext3 or other options. Click on the Fedora Jump link at the top of the page and select "get Fedora"
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 25th August 2009, 05:50 PM
LinuxDanP Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:46 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
This *may* (untested) be different in F12 alphas, which are now able to boot from ext4 partitions. (That part, the booting from ext4, I've tested--by untested, I mean I don't use the live stuff).

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 13th September 2009, 06:02 PM
sixstring Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Are there other differences in how the liveCD and the full install media actually run when installed onto a usb drive? Does the Live version write to disk less or some other efficiency that isn't immediately obvious?

I played with an IPSEC VPN on both and noticed the certificates aren't as secure on the Live version*. Are there other subtle differences with Live?

LinuxDanP, the full install CDs can be found here.

* - I was using the Openswan vpn package and noticed the full Install media uses a password protected NSS database to store the private encryption certificate, but the Live install does not. The Live version appeared to use standard certificates (hostkey.secrets). You can probably enable the database on the Live version to make them run the same, but it's a subtle difference between the default installations.

Last edited by sixstring; 13th September 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 13th September 2009, 07:34 PM
LinuxDanP Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thanks for the link, sixstring. I actually don't need the install media, I was able to get the problems taken care of. I don't know about of any efficiency differences between the two. I always use an install CD or DVD, so I don't know about USB differences either...
Old 20th September 2009, 06:32 PM
winux_wuver Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Hi,
I use dial up and so I went ahead and ordered Fedora KDE Edition Live-64-bit platform DVD. I just installed it after following the instructions by partitioning (/boot to ext 3) and( / to ext4) as is the only way to install the live version.
I'm curious, though, as I would have liked the Install version, but OSdisc only lists Fedora 11. Would this be the Gnome desktop? I didn't see a Fedora 11 KDE install version, or does the 5 CD install discs or the DVD install disc contain a choice of desktops? If so, maybe I can exchange my Live disc. But, so far it is working fine.
Thanks,
w_w
Old 21st September 2009, 05:42 AM
JohnnyLinux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
The DVD comes with both GNOME and KDE

After using the DVD because of install problems in Fedora 10, I will never go back to Live CD's for installations. Very handy selecting more software and is more customizable than the "little' 700Mb live CD

Last edited by JohnnyLinux; 22nd September 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 22nd September 2009, 01:38 PM
winux_wuver Offline

linuxfedorakonqueror
Thanks timmywerar,
I appreciate the answer!
Old 19th October 2009, 05:54 PM
vyverjet Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
The Live CD has an installer built in, however it's only available using ext4, which requires an extra /boot partition (which is ext3). It's used to evaluate how well Fedora's likely to work with your hardware and for you to get the 'feel' of Fedora. The Install CD set is 6 CD's, I believe, and DVD are designed strictly for installation. Both can be installed as LVM, ext3 or other options. Click on the Fedora Jump link at the top of the page and select "get Fedora"
Dear LinuxDanP,
This happens to be my first post in Fedora forums! I had a bad trip with Ubuntu which was shipped free to me from Netherlands and the mistake i made was ---taking a direct plunge without testing the waters,so to speak( installed it and felt like a fish out of water)! I am an absolute non-geek as far as Linux is concerned and i should have familiarized myself with that distro before installing it!
Since i want a divorce from Windows AND am absolutely amazed with the Command Line Language of Linux, i have started reading up material about Linux Commands and that's where the Live CD came in as an excellent tool to test my language skills. I have downloaded (torrent) Fedora 11 i386 KDE Live CD and am using it. The ideal torrent download site:torrent.fedoraproject.org. Now the fear factor has gone and i feel (as BOB mentioned) okay with Fedora 11. The real important reason why i chose Fedora as the distro flavour was, my friend uses it and is just a mobile call away for advise! Thank you for the patient reading!
Old 19th October 2009, 08:41 PM
JohnnyLinux Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Cool, Welcome vyverjet.
Old 20th October 2009, 01:58 AM
vyverjet Offline

windows_xp_2003opera
Dear timmywear,
thanks a lot! I am actually thinking of joining a course where they teach Linux (and specifically Fedora)! Windows has made me a dum boy!! Best wishes.

Tags
difference, install, live, media