Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Old 14th August 2009, 01:15 PM
billy123 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
India launches Bhuvan, rival to Google Earth

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle6795889.ece

http://bhuvan.nrsc.gov.in/
Old 15th August 2009, 02:20 AM
machin Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Thank you for the news billy123.
It doesn't work under Linux and I don't think that they could rival to google.

Linux

Last edited by machin; 4th September 2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:47 AM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
I wish Google would update it's maps. The picture of my old house shows my old car I had a few years ago.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 15th August 2009, 05:01 AM
rpstitz Offline

linuxfirefox
I personally feel that Marble rivals Google Earth. I realize that I can see my car in the driveway where I USED to live with Google Earth, but who cares where I used to live ? Kona, I agree completely.
Richard P Stitz - Linux user #447562

If you are experiencing problems, please consider filing a bug report. Without these reports, it is unlikely that the cause of your problem will be addressed by the developers.
Old 15th August 2009, 02:49 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline
"Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

windows_vistafirefox
Do you have a link Richard? Tell us about Marble, is it more current then GoogleEarth? I agree with you both too, the Google shots can be up to a decade old now.

The street view thing now that is cool! Could be dangerous too though. But it is neat seeing the pics from the streets. One of my faviorite places to view is Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh overlooking Three River Stadium. There is a church there, we used to call it the church of the neon jesus because of the neon cross. That is where we would hang out, on the overlook. Ah memories...

Last edited by JN4OldSchool; 15th August 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 16th August 2009, 06:40 AM
rpstitz Offline

linuxfirefox
Marble should be in the repos. It looks similar to GoogleEarth, except that it doesn't zoom in to street-level...it is more like a globe. It does, however, have skins for the "marble" that makes it look like an old-fashioned map, and also satellite imagery that shows Earth at night (cities are lit up), and also the moon (complete with moon landing markers) and other planets as well. It is an extremely easy to use program that lets you drag the map and also the 3D globe view can be dragged.

I heard that the new GoogleEarth now has moon landing markers and such, and immediately thought that Marble has had them all along. Funny how the fat cat always gets the kudos even though they are the last in line.

If it isn't in the Fedora repos, I'll post screenshots on my gallery.

Edit: here's the pic of the moon landings:

I added five pics showing different globe skins available with Marble. See my photo gallery for the rest.

If you are experiencing problems, please consider filing a bug report. Without these reports, it is unlikely that the cause of your problem will be addressed by the developers.

Last edited by rpstitz; 16th August 2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: decided to go ahead and add the pics to the gallery
Old 16th August 2009, 02:20 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Ah, I am not running Fedora. I will have to see if there is a version for Arch or I will build it.
Old 18th August 2009, 03:45 AM
rpstitz Offline

linuxfirefox
I'm running Mint, but I'm pretty sure that I ran Marble in Fedora as well...it should be in the repos because I seldom build anything myself. If it isn't in the repos or in DangerMouse's AutoTen, I normally don't have it

Old 18th August 2009, 12:59 PM
kona0197 Offline
The Wibble Rouser

windows_xp_2003firefox
I would run Mint but the menus and default icons and colors are so not my style.

No fate but what we make...
My Blog: kona0197.wordpress.com
Old 18th August 2009, 01:10 PM
JN4OldSchool Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kona0197 View Post
I would run Mint but the menus and default icons and colors are so not my style.
ROTFL!

I dont care for MintMenu either.

All that stuff is easily fixed kona. Mint has the best artwork of any distro. Zwopper especially is very talented.