Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Closed Thread

Old 8th August 2009, 10:51 AM
Doug G Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'm going back to windows

The hell with Fedora

I just can't stand it anymore. There are just way too many annoyances in the opensource/fedora world.

For example, tonight I started mysqld on a brand new fedora11 x86_64 installation. Per the message when the service started, I did mysqladmin -uroot password 'whatever' which worked fine. Then the next line was to do the same thing with -h hostname, which I did, and got the helpful 'host <hostname> is not allowed to connect to this mysql server'

Goddam

I've had it screw this opensource time wasting piece of garbage., My life is too short to waste it trying to figure out why this simple command doesn't work.

Add to this the lack of configuration for the synaptics touchpad on this new laptop, and suddenly Vista looks great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 8th August 2009, 11:06 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
We've seen it all before Doug. Linux is not Windows and unfortunately some of us are more suited to the Windows world where decisions are made for you and nothing is secure. I wish you well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 8th August 2009, 11:09 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfedorafirefox
(moved to Rants as no questions are being asked)

As always, it amazes me that people feel compelled to bid a 'farewell'. Sorry it didn't work out for you, however this Forum is 'users helping users' and not monitored by anyone controlling the actual distribution. If you'd like to waste more of your life screwing around with this opensource time-wasting piece of garbage, then click on the FedoraProject Jump link above and Communicate with the devs.

Otherwise, goodbye and good luck.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 8th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Demz

windows_98_nt_2000firefox
Quote:
Communicate with the devs.
that link was a waste of time putting up there IMO, devs dont listen
Old 8th August 2009, 01:05 PM
pete_1967 Online
Clueless in a Cuckooland

linuxfedorafirefox
Been a while since the last of these... Always good entertainment though!

“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime” so now go and...
RTFM FIRST: http://docs.fedoraproject.org/ & http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
Old 8th August 2009, 02:22 PM
Hlingler Offline
Administrator

linuxopera
Quote:
Off-topic to a degree likely to annoy the OP - please lodge your complaint in a separate complaint thread - where you will of course be directed to complain elsewhere - don't clutter up this rant with extraneous complaints.

What's that music I hear? Could it be... ?? Yes, I believe it is....

V
Old 8th August 2009, 04:11 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz View Post
Actually, Greg ... I have found that if one files bug reports, communicates with helpfulness and a little courtesy, the "devs" are usually reasonably responsive. This doesn't mean, however, that all bugs get fixed. Bluntly, there are a helluva lot of users, and lines of code, and bug reports ... and precious few developers.

And that alone, methinks, is reason enough not to deliberately take pot-shots at guys and gals who are, after all, VOLUNTEERING their time, effort, dedication and hard work.

Which isn't to say I haven't been sorely tempted once in a while myself.

It is also, however, one of those inescapable truisms of life that those who are actively trying to help will usually get more positive attention and respect from the movers and shakers than those who are not. Just as we tend to deal with forum trolls with a certain amount of disdain, so it is in the developer community. The fastest way I know of to patently marginalize oneself ... is to get rude, stupid and sarcastic/caustic ... and p*ss in the ear of someone who has just given you their best efforts ... as a gift.

When they've really boned it up (developers) they absolutely need to know about it, but if folks don't go through channels, and offer their feedback in a courteous and constructive way, you can bet your last pair of clean dry socks your message won't be well received.

... And then nothing gets changed until the devels involved ain't mad no more.

<....>
Old 8th August 2009, 04:56 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
The hell with Fedora
Then the next line was to do the same thing with -h hostname, which I did, and got the helpful 'host <hostname> is not allowed to connect to this mysql server'

Goddam
Yeah - security is a b*tch, it gets in the way of getting real work done all the time. The alternative is little or no security and therefore products that only a home or Windoze user could tolerate.
Old 8th August 2009, 05:12 PM
Dan Offline
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox
And with that ... Doug hasn't come back (with his hat in his hands) so this one has just about run the length of its usefulness.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread