Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2009, 11:12 PM
bianchi77 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Fedora 11 suddenly freeze

Dear Friends,

Why does Fedora 11 freeze suddenly when I use it?
Driver related ?

Thanks
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:02 AM
rick_retterer Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Possibly... Are you using the Intel video driver and does it freeze everytime you attempt to use something that requires OpenGL like trying to watch a movie or a *.avi, mp4, etc.. file?

I have my system freeze on me when I attempt to use GLX-dock (cairo-dock with opengl).
Old 2nd August 2009, 07:48 AM
bianchi77 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
I'm using on board VGA ATI Radeon 2100 and I'm not using OpenGL,
Just using Mozilla and File Manager, it suddenly frezeed
Do you have any idea why ? and how to fix it?
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:45 AM
rpcarnell Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I am having a similar problem with Fedora 11.

For starters, when I log in, after starting the system, it is really slow (GNOME), so I do this:

(1) I log out of Gnome
(2) Ctrl-Alt-F2, I started a console, where I log in with my user name. Then I type startx -- :1
(3) Gnome is now really fast
(4) But from time to time, it freezes, and I have to press ctrl-alt-f2 to go back to the console again, but there's no message telling me why it is freezing.

I have an old Savage DDR video card.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:12 AM
rpcarnell Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Okay, if I type something inside the Gnome console, and I get a message like this:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display: assertion `atom != GDK_NONE' failed

then, the computer keeps functioning. Nothing happens.

But the message does not appear in the main console (ctrl+alt+f2). It is not there.

But when a message like it, does show up, it is because Gnome froze up completely.
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:20 AM
rpcarnell Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcarnell View Post
Okay, if I type something inside the Gnome console, and I get a message like this:

Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_x11_atom_to_xatom_for_display: assertion `atom != GDK_NONE' failed

then, the computer keeps functioning. Nothing happens.

But the message does not appear in the main console (ctrl+alt+f2). It is not there.

But when a message like it, does show up, it is because Gnome froze up completely.
I was wrong. That's not it either. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Old 3rd August 2009, 02:49 AM
bianchi77 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
What should I do for repairing this problem ?
is FC 11 not stable yet ??
Old 3rd August 2009, 01:34 PM
rpcarnell Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Maybe it is Xorg-related:

(1) yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing

Update as many packages as you can.

(2) When you start your computer, press E to edit Grub before booting.

You may see a line like this one:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=UUID=b031b03c-8a0a-4b94-84af-94a5006ffe9e rhgb quiet

Get rid of rhgb quit, and replace it with a 3, so you start a runlevel 3 (console). Type b and Linux will boot up.

Then, once Linux has booted up, log in and type startx

You can shift between the console and gnome (or kde) with ctrl-alt-f1 and ctrl-alt-f7. If it suddenly freezes, you may get back to the console by pressing those keys and you might see a message telling you what's wrong, if you are lucky. In my case, the messages are usually GTK related.

(3) You can get Linux to choose a resolution for you:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.i686.PAE ro root=UUID=b031b03c-8a0a-4b94-84af-94a5006ffe9e rhgb quiet

Replace rhgb quiet with vga=ask and then boot Linux

Keep looking at the messages in the console while running Gnome or KDE. You might be able to see the problem.

Last edited by rpcarnell; 3rd August 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:56 PM
bianchi77 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
thanks for the info i will try..
Old 4th August 2009, 06:38 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxmozilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcarnell View Post
Maybe it is Xorg-related:

(1) yum update --enablerepo=updates-testing

Update as many packages as you can.
The testing repo means just what it says: TESTING
Enabling it will bring in unstable, untested packages.
It is decidedly not a way to fix things.
Old 4th August 2009, 05:03 PM
Sligo Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Test updates can be useful, if you are desperate enough, but agreed they can be very dangerous.

Myself, I was having an identical problem with Fedora 11 just randomly freezing up, even at the graphical login screen. After trying everything I knew, and at the verge of doing something unthinkable like installing Ubuntu on the system, I gave the test update for the Xorg server a try, mainly because the description claimed it fixed a crash due to uninitialized VModMap fields. It didn't work.

However, after changing several BIOS settings and getting rid of the xorg.conf file I had written, it stooped randomly freezing. Unfortunately I'm not sure which one did it.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H motherboard, with an integrated ATI Radeon HD3300, an AMD Phenom II X4 CPU, and a Netgear WG311T PCI wireless adapter. In BIOS all I did was disable USB Wake Up, set the CPU voltage to auto, and DDRII Timing to auto. Then I got rid of the xorg.conf file I had written to get 1280x1024 resolution. Not sure which if any of these worked, or maybe it just stopped freezing by itself, but it is not doing it now, and hopefully it doesn't start again.

It would seem, my problem anyway, was either the radeon driver not liking my custom xorg.conf file, or Fedora 11 not liking the static values for voltage and timing. I'm not sure if any of this information is helpful, but it might give someone better than me an idea.
Linux Registered User #462282
Old 4th August 2009, 10:31 PM
Magickman Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I had this problem too, and I think it's a memory allocation problem. I had frequent lock ups trying to multi task, like browser open with three tabs, Thunderbird open, text editor open at the same time...lock up.
Old 6th August 2009, 05:09 AM
Trapper Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
Fedora is not alone concerning this freeze problem. Ubuntu is plagued with it too. 64 bit even moreso than 32 bit. In the past 6 months every linux flavor I try is very reminiscent of Windows 95. A number of forced reboots daily. It's not the machine. Several machines and all have differing video. I've stopped encouraging anyone to install linux for now too, unless they are interested in an older version. I hate to say it but later versions of Windows run better than linux does right now. I detest Windows though. My solution has been to drop back to an older version of Ubuntu for 64 bit. No freezes anymore. The 32 bit version of U9.04 doesn't seem to give me much trouble. It surprises me now and then but freezes are not a daily issue. But freezes should not be an issue at all.
Linux User #456254

Fedora 14 desktop on:

BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ 256KB CPU * 1GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM * 160GB Serial ATA HD * 320 GB WD IDE HD * SATA2
Old 6th August 2009, 06:19 AM
bianchi77 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
or may be i use i386 version ISO ? since i'm using 64 bit processor...??
but it should be compatible..shouldn't it...
??
Old 6th August 2009, 02:07 PM
Trapper Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
I use i386 versions with AMD 64 bit processors with good results bianchi77.
Linux User #456254

Fedora 14 desktop on:

BioStar MCP6P-M2 Motherboard * NVIDIA GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 Video * AMD Sempron LE1100 1.9GHZ 256KB CPU * 1GB PC4200 DDR2 RAM * 160GB Serial ATA HD * 320 GB WD IDE HD * SATA2

Tags
fedora, freeze, suddenly