Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st August 2009, 09:40 PM
davbren Offline

linuxubuntumozilla
Installing on Samsung q310 (reboots when boot to live CD is chosen)

Hey all. I'm struggling a bit to install F11 on my laptop. When I put in the cd, i get to the menu. I elect to boot into the live cd, then my pc reboots and the menu comes up again...

Any ideas?
Old 1st August 2009, 11:38 PM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
I'm afraid I can't help with the exact problem, as I've never run into it--however, I'm changing the thread title a bit, as may be others have had similar issues. (It might be a LiveCD, rather than Samsung issue.)

Note that it's the weekend, and nice weather in many places, so you might not get many responses before Monday. (I'm hoping that since I write that, I'll be proved wrong, and suddenly, you'll get 6 answers that work)

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 2nd August 2009, 10:16 AM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Hello davbren

I see from the icons attached to this post that you posted from Ubuntu.

Assuming that you have the liveCD of that, does that boot on the laptop?

If it does, for the sake of another download, I'd download and burn again. Or, if your Ubuntu machine is different to the Laptop, see if the Fedora CD boots on that.

Sorry if you've tried those, but it's all that springs to mind at present.
Old 2nd August 2009, 02:50 PM
davbren Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
cheers for the reply, I am indeed using Ubuntu on the laptop. I've installed Fedora on another machine without any trouble, using that disk....
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:14 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
I'd suggest then that there is something about your hardware that Fedora is not happy with and I'm not sure you have many options in a live CD.

You may be able to edit the startup options and if you can it may be worth appending:

Code:
nomodeset
to the kernel boot parameters. As I understand it that prevents X probing the video hardware.

You'll get more opportunities for amending the boot parameters in a DVD install but you may not want to commit that far in advance of trying the distribution.
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:16 PM
davbren Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
hmm, does Fedora have problems with Nvidia hardware? The desktop I installed it on to had an ATI card...
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:17 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I would also suggest you remove the boot options "quiet" and "rhgb" temporarily, because then you are probably able to see at what point in the boot process it has problems and starts to reboot. You may also be able to see error messages.
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:21 PM
bbfuller Offline

linuxopera
Hello davbren

Not usually, I mainly use nvidia and haven't encountered any problems.

However, the Fedora distribution now uses the "nouveau" nvidia driver and as that hasn't been around as long as the old "nv" I suppose it could be coming across something it was not prepared for.

You may, if you can get to the kernel boot parameters, try adding:

Code:
vesa
there to specify a basic driver. As I said though, I'm not sure just how far you can go with overriding the defaults in a live CD.
Old 2nd August 2009, 03:26 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbren View Post
hmm, does Fedora have problems with Nvidia hardware? The desktop I installed it on to had an ATI card...
Well, not in general. ATI is currently more problematic. However, notebook hardware is usually not the same as desktop hardware, which is more standardized. Notebook hardware is often customized for particular vendor models.
Old 3rd August 2009, 07:46 PM
davbren Offline

linuxubuntumozilla
hey, I tried everything and nothing is working. its difficult to see at what point it reboots but as far as i can see it doesn't fail at any point.

Seems as though I'm on Ubuntu for a while. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 11th September 2009, 11:27 AM
davbren Offline

windows_vistasafari
mkay i had to record the boot using my digicam. The boot restarts after:

Code:
running plymouthd
udev: starting version 141
Old 13th September 2009, 02:15 PM
davbren Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
still noone can help?

Tags