Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th July 2009, 10:01 PM
xarver Offline

linuxopera
Fedora11 Flash10 issues

(also posted on my.opera.com/community/forums)
Hello, guys! I have a problem on Fedora 11 with Flash.
This occurs with all browsers, so opera isn't alone here.

Opera: What happens is the video plays for some time then the audio goes mute but the video persists.
Firefox: it plays for a while, and then skims fastly through the video.

What can I do to fix flash? Please note this a fresh install, I have just installed flash and such.
Fedora 11 is great but this is the only problem. I want to see videos and flash.

I'm suspecting this to be a sound problem or flash, because when I modify my system's sound it does not modify the video's sound.
Can anyone help? I already asked on the fedora irc channel.

P.S. This is probably because I updated all my packages or something.
gnash and swfdec don't work also
Old 29th July 2009, 10:55 PM
xarver Offline

linuxopera
fixed. just follow this http://fedorasolved.org/Members/fenr...nd-workarounds
Old 30th July 2009, 01:28 AM
xarver Offline

linuxopera
Nope, it seemed to work but it doesn't now! help
Old 1st August 2009, 04:03 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Just tried a youtube video in Opera 10 Beta 2 with Fedora 11 (F11 installed a couple of days ago).

Video plays fine with sound for a minute or so, then just stops. Later the video continues without sound. Operapluginwrapper was using >95% CPU when this happened.

FWIW here is the video I tried it on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-DdstKANYg
Old 1st August 2009, 05:01 AM
xarver Offline

linuxopera
I found out just do this: su -c "yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio"
It may be unrecommend im unsure but it works
Old 1st August 2009, 11:27 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by xarver View Post
I may try that, but I would first like to see if there are other solutions.

Mandriva has something called libflashsupport that is supposed to fix pulse audio problems with Flash. Supposedly it is not needed with Flash 10, but it got installed by default on my Mandriva 2009.1 (Powerpack) system which came with Flash 10. I am not having this problem with Flash using Mandriva...
Old 1st August 2009, 11:51 AM
scottro Offline
Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.

linuxopera
Fedora used to have libflashsupport, and it used to be necessary, but shouldn't be anymore. I don't have the issue, so can't really help. (I don't use Gnome or KDE either though, which might be a factor.)
Sometimes, if you open a terminal and type firefox (or opera), then go play the video, you can get useful messages, giving you an idea of what the problem is, or at least giving a message you can try feeding into google to see if anyone's found the solutoin.

Do NOT PM forum members with requests for technical support. Ask your questions on the forum.

"I don't know why there is the constant push to break any semblance of compatibility" --anon
Old 1st August 2009, 11:56 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
FWIW I just tried the same youtube video again. I was watching 'top' in terminal while the video was playing. Operapluginwrapper was using about 50% CPU for the first minute or so, then Pulse Audio jumped up to > 70% CPU for some seconds. After that, Pulse Audio dropped out and operapluginwrapper went to ~95% CPU and stayed there. When Pulse Audio jumped to > 70% CPU, the Flash Video basically stopped playing.

Last edited by David Batson; 1st August 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 1st August 2009, 01:04 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Just tried that same youtube video (Marcos Valle-Os Grilos) in Mandriva 2009.1 KDE. Using same version of Opera 10 Beta 2 and same version of Adobe Flash 10.0.22.87 on the same computer. Operapluginwrapper uses less % CPU in Mandriva than in Fedora 11. In Mandriva, operapluginwrapper uses 35-38% CPU and the youtube video plays fine to the end (4:53 min.) using Opera. In Fedora 11, operapluginwrapper uses about 50% CPU and the video hangs about 1 minute in.

Using Firefox in Fedora 11, the video plays longer (over 4 minutes) then it stops for some seconds as the % CPU is used up. Next the sound resumes, but the video is stopped. When the sound completes, then the video runs rapidly to the end.

When I ran the video in Opera 10 in Fedora this last time, operapluginwrapper crashed. Following is the crash file: operapluginwrapper-bugreport.txt
http://pastebin.com/mfb96b1e
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:09 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by xarver View Post
In the absence of other solutions I removed alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and indeed, the youtube videos now play to completion in Opera and Firefox.

I wonder what I am losing by uninstalling alsa-plugins-pulseaudio? Sound still works in Flash. Must be a bug in that plugin.
Old 2nd August 2009, 12:57 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
I just filed a bug report on this: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=515121
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:08 PM
Svicx Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
[Google Translate - reverso.net]
I have the same problem. I have resolved the problem removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.

Attached:
- computer.txt: details of my computer (smoltSendProfile -p > computer.txt)
- package.txt: all the installed packages on my computer (rpm -qa > package.txt)
Attached Files
File Type: txt computer.txt (5.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: txt package.txt (35.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Svicx; 2nd August 2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 2nd August 2009, 01:47 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
I do not have this problem on my Mandriva 2009.1 installation on this same computer. I just checked, and Mandriva is using alsa-plugins-pulseaudio version 10.0.19 vs Fedora alsa-plugins-pulseaudio 10.0.20. Might be a problem with the newer version...
Old 3rd August 2009, 08:09 AM
Iotos Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Disable Pulseaudio

I had the exact same problem, not only with flash, but with all audio players. A backtrace revealed that pulseaudio was to blame, and removing alsa-plugins-pulseaudio didnt always work. I found that even without alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, pulse would still randomly start up at login. Issue the following in your terminal (just as you, not root) and try flash again:
pulseaudio -k
It will only be temporary, but if this fixes it, you have the same issue I did. Note that this will effectively disable gstreamer and gstreamer based apps till you log back in or restart pulseaudio.

Do not remove pulseaudio altogether. I did this out of spite, and now gstreamer will not work (my latest pet project). Note that xine based apps will play sound fine without pulseaudio as long as the pulseaudio plugin for xine is not installed.

If it works, do one of the following:
1) Try fixing pulse with this guide: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...out+pulseaudio
2) Manually disable pulseaudio with the command above every time you want to see flash
3) Add the pulseaudio -k to your run-mozilla.sh file
4) Disable or remove pulseaudio, and get used to xine based players (see above disclaimer)

Last edited by Iotos; 4th August 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 11th August 2009, 06:26 PM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Batson View Post
In the absence of other solutions I removed alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, and indeed, the youtube videos now play to completion in Opera and Firefox.

I wonder what I am losing by uninstalling alsa-plugins-pulseaudio? Sound still works in Flash. Must be a bug in that plugin.
I found later that I had a similar problem playing a wmv file in VLC. Performing the steps of the following guide fixed all issues for me. Note that alsa-plugins-pulseaudio is now installed and not causing a problem.

Fedora 11: Complete guide to fix PulseAudio and video/audio VLC Media Player issues

Tags
fedora11, flash10, issues