Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th July 2009, 12:50 AM
wangmaster Offline

screensaver doesn't kick in or display doesn't suspend/sleep

Hi all,
Anyone noticing intermittent problems with the screensaver not kicking in or the display not sleeping? This is in gnome under F11.

I have the Power Management Preferences set to put the display to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity and gnome screensaver is configured for 5 minutes idle time.

On a regular basis, I'll leave my computer come back and
a) the screensaver hasn't kicked in
or
b) the screensaver kicked in, but the power management features didn't kick in to put the display to sleep.

It seems to be an intermittent problem and usually it goes away after I restart X, but then at some point it comes back. In the past, I've gotten in the habit of being logged in for weeks/months at a time but I find that I can't go more than a few hours without logging out and back in or else the screen won't go to sleep.

Any ideas?
Old 29th July 2009, 12:00 AM
bjorntj Offline

I have also this problem... Any solution?

BTJ
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"
Old 31st July 2009, 02:37 PM
wangmaster Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I'm currently in a state, and have been for the past week, where my screen is not sleeping and my screensaver is not kicking in. Both gnome-power-manager and gnome-screensaver processes are running.

Does anyone have any idea how I can troubleshoot this? Unfortunately, gnome no longer uses X's built in DPMS capabilities (and in fact sets standby, suspend and off times to 0).
Old 5th August 2009, 06:23 AM
den23513 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Some problem :-(
Old 5th August 2009, 11:04 PM
jvinla Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I have the same problems.
Not sure where to look to troubleshoot.
Old 6th August 2009, 02:35 AM
cheerio158 Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Same problem here on my F11 workstation and sometimes on my F11 EeePC.

I'm just installing the updates as they become available and hoping for the best.
Old 6th August 2009, 03:54 AM
tdcrooks Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Sorry for NOT helping on the issue, but, how do you suppose something like this happens?

I mean, whoever wrote the original code that starts the screensaver after X amount of system inactivity surely got it right for it to be released onto Fedora [or more versions of Linux]. What I mean is, this code worked once upon a time, or no longer works for some users, but how does this happen?

This goes not only for screensaver code, but code for any software that has been released. Especially if that software [like the screensaver] need not interact directly with other software or code [like music players and codecs do]...

I'm heading towards a career in Linux and I'm looking to learn as much as possible, so your answers to my questions are appreciated.

Registered Linux User: #468950

http://rootblock.wordpress.com
Old 6th August 2009, 09:26 AM
jfoechsler Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
With me screensaver and power management only works first time after starting session. After display is woken up again it wont go to sleep next time its left idle.
Furthermore I've experienced screensaver kicking in, in the middle of me using mouse and/or keyboard.

This is F11 Gnome +updates-testing.
Old 6th August 2009, 04:52 PM
jvinla Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I also have a problem with random screen blanking.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...light=blanking
Could the two problems be related?
Old 12th August 2009, 06:46 PM
JWilliamCupp Offline

linuxopera
I have the problem that the screensaver and power manager are both completely inactive until someone logs in. That is, when the system is booted and at the login window, the screensaver never activates. After the last user logs out and goes away (or before anyone logs in) the screen will sit there forever without going into screensaver or monitor off.

The workaround is to leave someone logged in at all times, but this seems unusual to say the least.

- Bill
Old 12th August 2009, 08:49 PM
jvinla Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
By design, the screensaver and power-manager are started at login.

For other screensaver problems, I found that xscreensaver operates correctly so I switched to it.

I also had problems with the screen blanking at random times. To stop that, I kill gnome-power-manager. Gnome-power-manager is needed to suspend the computer so I restart it in a terminal window (or logout & back in) just before I want to quit for the day.
I tried reverting to an old version of gnome-power-manager and tried the version in testing - still had problems. Perhaps some other routine/daemon/service is feeding gnome-power-manager and/or the screensaver bad info.
Old 13th August 2009, 06:34 AM
wangmaster Offline

linuxubuntufirefox
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=516423

i filed a bug for my problem with the screen not sleeping.
Old 15th August 2009, 01:36 AM
hurleyef Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Occasionally my screen will blank out only a few seconds after using the mouse. It just goes black and stays that way until I move the mouse again.

Also, the other day I came back to my computer that had idled into the screensaver, when I hit the enter key to wake it up I didn't get a password prompt or anything, just the background image and a mouse cursor. Nothing else at all. I had to switch to another tty terminal and reboot from there.
Old 9th November 2009, 05:26 PM
JWilliamCupp Offline

linuxopera
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliamCupp View Post
I have the problem that the screensaver and power manager are both completely inactive until someone logs in. That is, when the system is booted and at the login window, the screensaver never activates. After the last user logs out and goes away (or before anyone logs in) the screen will sit there forever without going into screensaver or monitor off.
Okay ... I now have Fedora 11 on two different machines. The first one is described above. The second works just fine. Even with nobody logged in, the screensaver kicks in, then later the monitor goes to sleep according to the power manager settings.

It must be something in the motherboard.

- Bill
Old 10th November 2009, 06:15 AM
hallelujahtalon Offline

macosfirefox
Motherboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWilliamCupp View Post

It must be something in the motherboard.

- Bill
Could you please give us the name of your motherboard?

Thanks

Tags
display, kick, screensaver, suspend or sleep