Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 24th September 2004, 08:59 PM
gSalsero Offline

unable to change desktop icons or window color.

for quite some time now, I have been using a Max OSX Panther them on my Gnome desktop. A few days ago I decided I wanted a new look and feel.

I selected Preferences > Theme to bring up the Theme Preferences application. As I was trying out the different themes available, I noticed that neither the destop icons (including the gnome menu) nor the color of the windows were chaning at all. The sytle of the windows borders were chaning, but the color of the borders always remained in the same blue as the Bluecurve theme. I checked the theme details and verified that the correct Controls, Window Borders, and Icons were selected.

I currently have the Crux theme selected along with Crux Controls, Crux Window Borders, and Crux Icons. Crux is supposed to have a green color to the window borders but on my system it remains blue. And the Crux icons are not being used.

Another strange thing is that when I connect via a VNC client, I see all the correct colors, iconcs, etc.. I am at a loss as to what to do now. When I login as root, all the changes work as expected. It just doesn't work when I login to my personal account. I'd rather not delete my account and create a new one, but that just may be what I will have to do.

Thanks
Old 24th September 2004, 09:15 PM
superbnerd

test it out with a new account before you delete your existing one, if it works then you know what you have to do
had you made any changes to you system before this?
Old 27th September 2004, 03:55 PM
gSalsero Offline

ok, so I got some more info. I have set up the vncserver to start up automatically as a service prior to me logging in. So if I connected via VNC I would see the correct theme, but not if I logged into the machine. If I turn this off, then my account now displays the correct theme options I selected. If I start the vncserver after logging in, I see the incorrect theme options. Very strange behaviour. Any ideas?
Old 27th September 2004, 03:57 PM
gSalsero Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSalsero
If I turn this off, then my account now displays the correct theme options I selected.

Let me clarify this. I mean if I configure the vncserver to not start automatically and reboot, then my account displays the correct theme where as my vnc connection now does not.
Old 1st December 2004, 08:49 AM
chiku31 Offline

I am having the same problem. If I stop vncserver, everything is working. why is that?
Old 1st December 2004, 06:03 PM
gSalsero Offline

I never figured it out. If you do, please let me know. I will be moving to FC3 soon, so maybe it will be fixed then.
Old 1st December 2004, 06:32 PM
chiku31 Offline

I am currently using FC3 though.

Tags
change, color, desktop, icons, unable, window