Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 18th July 2009, 01:45 AM
hellwolf Offline

Simple solution of getting rid of pulseaudio(F11)

1. Use yum to install pavucontrol
Go to tab "configuration", choose "off"

2. remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, if you installed it before

3. Go to "System->Preference->Startup Applications", deselect the "Volume Control" application from "gnome-media" package, which only uses pulseaudio interface

4. Use yum to install python-alsaaudio pygtk2 gnome-python2-libegg gst-mixer
Then add the attached python script to "Startup Applications", which mimics the behavior of volume control but using alsa interface. This is a modified version from its origin: http://david.chalkskeletons.com/files/volume-tray.py
which adds a feature of changing icon according to the value of volume.

5. Logout, then login again
Attached Files
File Type: gz volume-tray.py.gz (2.9 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by hellwolf; 20th July 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 20th July 2009, 02:24 PM
Autumn Leaf Offline

I have 5 older/smaller PC's (3 older PC's with Plentium III processors and two newish netbooks) and find that with all these older/smaller PC's I have audio problems if Pulse Audio is installed. As a result I've really come to detest Pulse Audio.

The problem is distro independent. I'm new to Fedora but I've had the same problem with Pulse Audio using Mandriva. Getting rid of the damn Pulse Audio in Mandriva is easy. There is a configuration menu which allows you to turn it off. You then reconfigure your Media Players to talk directly to ALSA. Fedora seems to be rather short of configuration options.

I came unstuck on step 1 above. Installing pavucontrol was easy. But when I run it I get a "cannot connect" message and then the program quits.

I'm mistified as to why distro's bundle this wretched and useless piece of software into their base systems. If people want Pulse Audio let them install it as an optional add-on.

I'm currently running Fedora 11 on an Eee PC 900A and needless to say I was getting endless micro-breaks in audio playback thanks to the Pulse Audio. Since I couldn't find a configuration option to disable the Pulse Audio I removed it from the 'Startup Applications' list and used Yum to uninstall the Pusle Audio packages. I then configured my preferred media players to output directly to ALSA and the sound problems all disappeared.

So did my volume control icon.

I'd quite like to have a volume contol icon. At the moment I'm keeping the 'Advanced Volume Contol' panel open on desktop 4 and using the PCM and LineOut sliders to control the volume. Not elegant, though it works well enough.
Old 20th July 2009, 02:32 PM
hellwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaf View Post
So did my volume control icon.

I'd quite like to have a volume contol icon. At the moment I'm keeping the 'Advanced Volume Contol' panel open on desktop 4 and using the PCM and LineOut sliders to control the volume. Not elegant, though it works well enough.
You can still look at the above instructions from 4 to 5, you will have a volume control tray icon working again.
Old 20th July 2009, 03:50 PM
Autumn Leaf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellwolf View Post
You can still look at the above instructions from 4 to 5 ...
OK, I added volume-tray.py to the 'Starup Applications' list.

I installed python-alsaaudio. The others were already installed.

I've downloaded the script and unzipped it.

Quote:
Try run this script before logout.
Your reward for being kind enough to write a 'how to' is to get dummies like me trying to use it.

1. Which folder should I put the script in?
2. How do I run a script? Does that involve doing something with a terminal?
Old 20th July 2009, 04:43 PM
hellwolf Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Leaf View Post
1. Which folder should I put the script in?
2. How do I run a script? Does that involve doing something with a terminal?
1. You can put it wherever you want
2. Use the terminal, and run the script like this:

$ python /path/to/volume-tray.py

Or, you can also right click the file-> properties ->Permissions-> Execute [yes]. Then double-click to run it.

By the way, you should see step 3 also, otherwise you would get two volume controller tray icons.
Old 6th August 2009, 09:30 PM
macfloripa Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
finally works

Thanks for the tip to remove pulse - and for the script. After messing around with F11 pulse/alsa with mixed results - I followed your steps and sound now works with all my apps: skype, firefox, vlc, rythmbox.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:30 PM
paleksic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Mine pusle wont go away. It just keeps coming up. I had to manually rm -rf damn thing because pulseaudio has itself so deeply entrenched into Fedora that yum become virtually unusable.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:39 PM
hellwolf Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by paleksic View Post
Mine pusle wont go away. It just keeps coming up. I had to manually rm -rf damn thing because pulseaudio has itself so deeply entrenched into Fedora that yum become virtually unusable.
That's why I wrote this small tip, where you can "gently" disables pulseaudio.
Old 15th August 2009, 04:58 PM
paleksic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
it didn't help me, i removed alsa-plugins from system and pulseaudio from gnome startup applications but it just keeps coming up whenever i start exaile or mplayer. Only doing rm -f /usr/bin/pulseaudio got me usable sound system
Old 16th August 2009, 11:03 AM
hellwolf Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
it didn't help me, i removed alsa-plugins from system and pulseaudio from gnome startup applications but it just keeps coming up whenever i start exaile or mplayer. Only doing rm -f /usr/bin/pulseaudio got me usable sound system
Not very sure your situation. But the way I use doesn't need to remove any package.
Old 25th August 2009, 04:11 PM
hiwayzen Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Thumbs up How to stop pulse

Quote:
After searching the web for days to find a solution for completely eradicating the demonic pulse daemon I put a few things together and used [yum remove pulseaudio] which seemed to remove most of the problem.
I didn't want to "get it working right" as I had read that other than being a poor sound device it is also a processor hog. I went to "/etc/pulse/client.conf" and changed the line "; autospawn = yes " to =no. After "removing" pulse with yum, I restarted the computer and checked /usr/bin to see that "pulseaudio" did not still reside there... gone! Cool! Then I went to /etc to see that my change to etc/pulse/client.conf retained its changes... what's this? A brand new file with autospawn=yes... well, if you've removed pulse, why not the /etc/pulse/client.conf? So I did. After restart I see everything seems to be gone but I still have my fingers crossed. Pulse is one sticky respawner. I recently looked at distrowatch and tried to find a distro w/o pulse... no luck. Hence the hours of research resulting in what I've shared here.

I also notice that I'm back to crisp clean alsa sound w/o pops and scratches.
Old 25th August 2009, 04:28 PM
hellwolf Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
I did yum remove before F11, but since some day, remove pulseaudio would remove other softwares I needed for example the bluetooth in gnome.
Old 26th August 2009, 01:09 AM
paleksic Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
I did yum remove before F11, but since some day, remove pulseaudio would remove other softwares I needed for example the bluetooth in gnome.
rebuild gnome-bluetooth without pulse and then remove pulseaudio. It worked for me. I could mail you bluetooth src.rpm w/o pulse
Old 26th August 2009, 09:57 AM
hellwolf Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Quote:
rebuild gnome-bluetooth without pulse and then remove pulseaudio. It worked for me. I could mail you bluetooth src.rpm w/o pulse
It's very kind of you, I think you can attach a spec here and share with all the people.

Although I prefer not to change any distribution provided packages, because when they upgrades I have to rebuild again, a headache for me to maintain Now only gnome-bluetooth depends on it, but later I can't tell.

Tags
pulseaudiof11, rid, simple, solution