FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly

    Hi, I am new to linux, and have just installed fedora 11 onto my computer about a week ago. Recently when I booted up my computer I get an error at the login screen.


    "Install problem!
    The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator."

    When I try to login in, nothing happens. I cant seem to get past the login screen.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mir space station
    Age
    48
    Posts
    737
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to fedora alienslag ,
    I am sure that if you wait long enough, one of the senior members will provide you with a cli solution to your problem. That said, i would recommend a fresh install from the complete dvd, since you did not customize yet your install.

    It is up to you

    UPDATE

    excuse my ignorance, i just saw that recently this appeared. Wait then.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ol' US of A
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alienslag,

    Welcome to Fedora!

    I did not see such errors myself, but since it complained the
    "configuration defaults ...", you can try to remove and reinstall the
    offending package.

    1. At login prompt, press Ctrl-Alt-F2, this brings you to tty2, a text window. (You can try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to satisify your curiosity).

    2. Login as root user.
    yum remove gnome-power-manager
    yum install gnome-power-manager
    reboot
    This seems to be low risk operation; I tried it on my system and saw no adverse effect.

    Please let me know how it goes for you.

    Cheers,
    Tim Taiwanese Liim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a candidate for the most misleading error message of all time!

    You will get this message if gconf-sanity-check-2 tries to write a test file into /tmp and can't read it back. It can be caused if you erase the /tmp directory and allow the system to create a new one automatically. It does so with the permissions set to read and execute only, so the test file cannot be written.

    Change the permissions of /tmp to 777 and it will fix it.


    The command line is chmod 777 /tmp

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ol' US of A
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oldgold,

    Thanks for the tip! Very interesting to learn. Agree it's good
    candidate for the most misleading category.

    Re: changing the permission of /tmp/:
    How about
    chmod a+rwxt /tmp
    Nowadays /tmp/ has a "sticky bit" with it:
    [timliim@taiwan ~]$ ls -ld /tmp
    drwxrwxrwt. 26 root root 4096 2009-09-01 23:35 /tmp
    The sticky bit on a directory (eg. /tmp/) "prevents unprivileged
    users from removing or renaming a file in the directory unless
    they own the file or the directory" (from "man chmod"), which is
    exactly what /tmp/ needs.

    Thanks!
    Tim Taiwanese Liim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point timlim. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    rpmdb open failed

    Quote Originally Posted by timliim
    Alienslag,

    Welcome to Fedora!

    I did not see such errors myself, but since it complained the
    "configuration defaults ...", you can try to remove and reinstall the
    offending package.

    1. At login prompt, press Ctrl-Alt-F2, this brings you to tty2, a text window. (You can try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to satisify your curiosity).

    2. Login as root user.
    yum remove gnome-power-manager
    yum install gnome-power-manager
    reboot
    This seems to be low risk operation; I tried it on my system and saw no adverse effect.

    Please let me know how it goes for you.

    Cheers,
    Tim Taiwanese Liim
    hi there,

    im trying to follow your instructions, but i get an error msg "rpmdb open failed"
    after typing yum remove gnome-power-manager in terminal as root..

    any idea what went wrong?

    thanks in advance..

    justin

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ol' US of A
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin,

    I have not see this error "rpmdb open failed" myself, but this thread
    might be related
    I got this error msg myself back in 2007:
    rpmdb: PANIC: fatal region error detected; run recovery
    error: db4 error(-30977) from dbenv->open: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery
    and this method recovered the db for me:
    rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    db_verify /var/lib/rpm/Packages
    rpm --rebuilddb
    The last posting in [1] from Mark, dated 2006, stated that the last
    step (rpm --rebuilddb) should be replaced by reboot. If reboot does
    not resolve the issue, then try "rpm --rebuilddb".

    Are you fixing the issue as posted by alienslag (2009-07-17)? If so
    you should follow oldold's post (2009-08-29).

    Cheers,
    Tim Taiwanese Liim

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly

    Quote Originally Posted by alienslag
    Hi, I am new to linux, and have just installed fedora 11 onto my computer about a week ago. Recently when I booted up my computer I get an error at the login screen.


    "Install problem!
    The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator."

    When I try to login in, nothing happens. I cant seem to get past the login screen.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Hello,alienslag,
    Do you resolve this porblem? I have the same problem, can you give me a hand?
    Thanks.
    Xuejing

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly

    Hey did you solve?
    start a linux live cd and try the command df in console.
    If 100% appears you have a full disk problem.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly

    I convinced myself that this problem was caused during the make of the v4l-db (for a RCA to USB controller driver). I dont think it was the driver itself but rather that I had run out of memory during the make (I only have 8GB on my FDM)

    I fixed the problem by removing the directory and clearing up as much space as possible.

    In particular during the GUI login <CTRL> <ALT> <F2> to get the text mode. I then found the directory of the make file and deleted it:

    sudo rm -r DIRECTORY

    upon reboot I was able to get back into the GUI: <alt F7>

    (3 hours of horrible troubleshooting at the worst possible time!!)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: GNOME Power Manager not installed correctly

    Quote Originally Posted by alienslag
    Hi, I am new to linux, and have just installed fedora 11 onto my computer about a week ago. Recently when I booted up my computer I get an error at the login screen.


    "Install problem!
    The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator."

    When I try to login in, nothing happens. I cant seem to get past the login screen.

    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
    I've got the same problem today.
    After some troubleshooting I figured out my root partition is 100% full. I just removed some files to solve the problem.

Similar Threads

  1. gnome-power-manager - won't go away
    By mgleahy in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 25th December 2008, 08:04 AM
  2. Gnome Power Manager Bug?
    By rthomas in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21st December 2008, 07:15 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24th May 2008, 10:58 PM
  4. Power button ignoring gnome-power-manager on FC8
    By iamasmith in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26th February 2008, 01:29 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th January 2007, 07:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •